none
"Azure Backup" options, 12/2015

Question

• I have just started looking at Azure backup options. So far I found references to

1. "Introducing Microsoft Azure Backup Server.mp4"

2. blog about "Windows Azure Online Backup"

Are these two products the same? If not, which is the one to use as of now?

TIA,

edm2

P.S. I also found "Microsoft SQL Server Backup to Windows Azure Tool" but this tool is clearly limited to Sql Server backups whereas the above ones, I believe, are for general purpose backup

• Edited by edm2 Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Edm2,

I will simplify things to you so you will no be confused.

Microsoft provides a solution to backup your on-premises data to Azure. This is what we generally call : Azure backup.

After that, there are many 'ways' to backup things :

1- You can use Azure Backup Server : This is a Microsoft Product (A variant of System Center Data Protection Manager DPM, a Microsoft backup on-premise product) whcih you will install on-premise. You will then use this server to deploy to backup on-premises data like Servers, Hyper-V VMs, SQL and... This is a centralized way to manage your backups to Azure.

2- If  DPM is already installed on-premise, you can use it to backup workloads to Azure

3- You can backup to Azure without using a server. You can directly send workloads to Azure using Windows Server Backup for example (But this is not centralized)

4- You can use 'Microsoft SQL Server Backup to Windows Azure Tool' to backup SQL server databases to Azure. As you said, it only backup SQL servers databases

Additional information:

- What is a backup Vault: A backup vault is just an object that you create on your Azure subscription, to tell Azure that you will use it as a target for backups. You will use the information given by the wizard (Name, keys...) to configure the methods listed above, this way they will send the data to the right location. A backup vault is a container of your backup data.

- Azure Site Recovery vault is different from the backup vault. It's used with ASR. ASR is a solution from Microsoft to establish Disaster Recovery of your on-premise (and more) data-center to Azure. For example, it can replicate VMWare VMS, Hyper-V VMs or physical servers to Azure. Keep in mind that the goal is a DR site, not a backup site

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community https://BuildWindows.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by edm2 Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:34 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:33 AM

All replies

• To back up files and folders, or Azure VMs, the backup is pretty simple with Azure Backup vault. To back up and restore a site, you will then use Azure Site Recovery vault. The following article may help.

https://yungchou.wordpress.com/2015/02/02/microsoft-azure-site-recovery-asr-as-disaster-recovery-dr-solutions-for-businesses-of-all-sizes/

You are right, SQL backup is different due to DBRM involved. HTH. 

• Proposed as answer by yung_chou Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 8:35 PM
  • This is getting more complicated than I thought:

1. >>>> To back up files and folders, or Azure VMs, the backup is pretty simple with Azure Backup vault.

What is Azure Backup vault? Is it different from "Azure Backup Server" or  "Windows Azure Online?

(I read that Azure Backup Server uses BLOB storage -- is that what was meant by Backup Vault?)

2. >>> To back up and restore a site, you will then use Azure Site Recovery vault.

Is there yet another Azure backup option (for websites)?  If so, the backup matter seems to be getting out of hand!

edm2

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:14 PM
  • Hi Edm2,

I will simplify things to you so you will no be confused.

Microsoft provides a solution to backup your on-premises data to Azure. This is what we generally call : Azure backup.

After that, there are many 'ways' to backup things :

1- You can use Azure Backup Server : This is a Microsoft Product (A variant of System Center Data Protection Manager DPM, a Microsoft backup on-premise product) whcih you will install on-premise. You will then use this server to deploy to backup on-premises data like Servers, Hyper-V VMs, SQL and... This is a centralized way to manage your backups to Azure.

2- If  DPM is already installed on-premise, you can use it to backup workloads to Azure

3- You can backup to Azure without using a server. You can directly send workloads to Azure using Windows Server Backup for example (But this is not centralized)

4- You can use 'Microsoft SQL Server Backup to Windows Azure Tool' to backup SQL server databases to Azure. As you said, it only backup SQL servers databases

Additional information:

- What is a backup Vault: A backup vault is just an object that you create on your Azure subscription, to tell Azure that you will use it as a target for backups. You will use the information given by the wizard (Name, keys...) to configure the methods listed above, this way they will send the data to the right location. A backup vault is a container of your backup data.

- Azure Site Recovery vault is different from the backup vault. It's used with ASR. ASR is a solution from Microsoft to establish Disaster Recovery of your on-premise (and more) data-center to Azure. For example, it can replicate VMWare VMS, Hyper-V VMs or physical servers to Azure. Keep in mind that the goal is a DR site, not a backup site

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community https://BuildWindows.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by edm2 Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:34 PM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:33 AM
  • Thank you Samir.... great clarification.

edm2

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:33 PM
  • Update: You can now backup ARM IaaS VMs

You can easily backup Azure IaaS VM using Azure VM Backup.  Learn more at https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/backup-azure-vms-first-look-arm/

https://channel9.msdn.com/Admin/Entries/25529b57-818c-4830-a0e9-a5db000fa00b

Brian Lewis - Microsoft Technical Evangelist Twitter @BrianLewis_  | Blog: http://mythoughtsonit.com (If my reply has been helpful to you, please give it a vote!)

Monday, April 4, 2016 6:33 PM