Windows Z Order RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows application that displays my window on top of the Metro interface, I use the UIAccess =  trueprop erty in the manifest and the application is digitally signed. It works fine.

However one window it will not draw on top of is the on screen keyboard available with Windows 8 and probably just about any version of Windows. How do I place my window on top of the online keyboard?

Many thanks

Friday, January 15, 2016 10:13 PM

Answers

• You are trying to play the topmost game. Don't play the topmost game:

Topmost/Ladder Game

If your design requires you to win this, your design is plain faulty.

Also a quick test revealed to me that the On Screen Keyboard is not a programm itself. Wich means it is a part of the Explorer/Windowing system. You are basically asking: "How do I put a Window in front of the Windowing system that dispalys said Window?"

• Edited by Christopher84 Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:40 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kristin Xie Friday, January 22, 2016 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kristin Xie Monday, January 25, 2016 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:39 PM
  • I do not know for certain which, but either the OSK or Windows is probably going to prevent any other window from becoming the topmost window when OSK is running. So even if there is a valid reason for doing this I don't think it's going to happen without disabling OSK.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:03 AM

All replies

• Edited by Linki Tan Monday, January 18, 2016 6:55 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 6:54 AM
  • Thanks but I'm not looking to find out who is top of the Z-order but to get my window above the on-screen keyboard which seems to rule all in the Z-Order hierarchy. Hope I don't misunderstand your post thanks.
    • Edited by scocia888 Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:23 PM
  • The on-screen keyboard would be useless if other application windows could remain displayed on top of it. Hope you understand that and the fact that users who use the OSK will not like that one bit.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:54 PM
  • hi Paul,

Thanks for your response but its users of the OSK  who have this problem. Disabled users who use the OSK  also use other programs designed  for the disabled who need occasionally to have windows displayed above the OSK. To say that OSK would be useless if other application windows could remain displayed on top of it is very true but you have to follow a whole lot of procedures before you can get the window to top the z-order with Windows 8 upwards as you know and I am talking about displaying a window above the OSK for five seconds. It's for mouse program that allows people to use their computers hands-free.

So I respectfully disagree that the OSK would be useless if other windows could be displayed on top of, in fact it would be even more useful in this case. Does that mean therefore there is no way of displaying a window on top of the OSK?

Thanks for your help. At least if I know there is no way I can stop wasting my time looking for a solution and get them to find another OSK.

• Edited by scocia888 Tuesday, January 19, 2016 10:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 10:05 PM
  • You are trying to play the topmost game. Don't play the topmost game:

Topmost/Ladder Game

If your design requires you to win this, your design is plain faulty.

Also a quick test revealed to me that the On Screen Keyboard is not a programm itself. Wich means it is a part of the Explorer/Windowing system. You are basically asking: "How do I put a Window in front of the Windowing system that dispalys said Window?"

• Edited by Christopher84 Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:40 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 11:39 PM
  • I do not know for certain which, but either the OSK or Windows is probably going to prevent any other window from becoming the topmost window when OSK is running. So even if there is a valid reason for doing this I don't think it's going to happen without disabling OSK.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:03 AM
  • Thank you Paul and Christopher for clarification.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:43 PM