what happen in background in OS level when we copy a file from one location to another location? RRS feed

• Question

• User264732274 posted

i do not have clear idea that what happen in background in OS level when we copy a file from one location to another location?

if possible please answer my below points

1) what when we copy a file from one folder to another folder in same drive ?

1) what when we copy a file from one folder to another folder in different drive ?

1) what when we cut & paste a file from one location to another location?

if possible tell me what happen internally at OS level when cut,copy & paste occur?

thanks

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:30 PM

Answers

• User1428246847 posted

Sorry, for my earlier post replace 'disk' by 'drive'.

No idea about articles; I suggest that you start reading about file allocation table and take it from there. Eventually you will find something that answers your questions ;-)

A copy will make a physical copy and add a new entry in the FAT of the destination drive.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 4:44 AM

All replies

• User1428246847 posted
    A copy will always be a literal copy, regardless of destination.

Cut and paste is different. On the same drive, it's simply changing entries in the 'table of contents' of the drive; the file stays in the same place. Cutting from one drive and pasting on another drive consists, as far as I know, of a copy followed by a delete.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:53 PM
  • User264732274 posted

how FAT is effected when file is copied or cut paste?

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 5:15 PM
  • User1428246847 posted
    FAT is the table of contents mentioned above. Each disk has its own one. Copy will create a new entry in the FAT, cut/paste on the same disk will update an entry and cut/paste with different disks will create a new entry in the FAT of one disk and remove the entry from the other one.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:03 PM
  • User264732274 posted

@WIM thanks

My pc has one hard disk and the hard disk has many drive. so all drive will have its separate FAT or there will be one FAT?

file could be copy in same drive or may be separate drive....so every time a new entry will be created in FAT ?

can u plzz redirect me to few relevant article which discuss the same in more details. thanks

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:54 AM
  • User1428246847 posted

Sorry, for my earlier post replace 'disk' by 'drive'.

No idea about articles; I suggest that you start reading about file allocation table and take it from there. Eventually you will find something that answers your questions ;-)

A copy will make a physical copy and add a new entry in the FAT of the destination drive.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 4:44 AM