How to Save Form Results RRS feed

• Question

• I'm adding a Form to my site to gather mailing information.  How do I "Save Form Results" to an email?  When I check this option, and EW1 says"This form cannot be configured to send results via email. The we site may be located at a disk-based location, or on a server that has not been configured to send email.  Contact your system adm or Internet Service Provider for more information".  How is the best way to retrieve this information.  Bear with me, I'm an artist, not a techie.  I don't have a clue about how to send it to a database, can't figure it out from my book "Visual Quickstart Guide".  Thought the simplest way would be to receive an email. Is there a better book on using EW?  This one has been very helpful and I've successfully published my website with little problems.  EW is great.  This Form Results saving thing has me stumped. Thanks.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:05 PM

Answers

• I have found Jim Cheshire's Book Using Microsoft Expression Web 2, Special Edition to be excellent. It is easy to read with lots of screen shots to help with the step-by-step instructions. It also comes with a CD that contains the entire book along with some utilities. I purchased my copy from Inform IT .

Here is an article from the Expression Web Solution Center that gives a procedure for sending form results to multiple e-mail addresses: Article of Interest .

HTH,

-Preston
    Columbia, CA. USA
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:19 PM
  • As long as his hosting supports asp.net 2.0 I would agree with you on Jim's book however not all windows hosting has asp.net 2.0.  Many only support classic asp or asp.net 1.0/1.1 so that is something else to consider.

Most web hosts have a faq with a sample forms processor script for the components or server side scripting they support. I'd suggest checking there as well.
    MS MVP Expression http://by-expression.com
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Preston B said:

"As long as his hosting supports asp.net 2.0 I would agree with you on Jim's book however not all windows hosting has asp.net 2.0.  Many only support classic asp or asp.net 1.0/1.1 so that is something else to consider."

Thanks, Cheryl. And I certainly agree with you regarding checking with the host in order to find out which technologies they install and support.

<minor rant>I find it interesting that there is much ado regarding standardization of code for cross-browser/platform compatibility, but web hosts can't, or won't, help us achieve these worthwhile ends by having newer technologies available .</minor rant>

-Preston

Columbia, CA. USA

I'm with you on that. In fact, I've been looking around for a new provider because of some issues with latest-version ASP.NET availability, specifically the AJAX Control Toolkit. I've been looking very closely at these folks http://aspnix.com/hosting/shared-web-hosting/.

I mean, for someone who is pretty much committed to MS technologies and ASP.NET, that looks like a helluva package for the money. Plus, I could get away from that bloody slow-a.r.s.e Plesk control panel provided where I am now. Just wondered if anybody had any background with them. Any good or bad experiences? Inquiring minds want to know... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Monday, September 22, 2008 12:32 AM
  • One thing I never thought FrontPage did well, not EW2 either, is form handling.  Here's a free one written in PHP that is very easy to set up, and will probably do everything you want: FormM@iler  I've been using it for years and it's great!  It comes with examples and instructions, and is free!  
    Monday, September 22, 2008 2:26 AM
  • Nice and free Expression Web asp.net form generator http://www.ctrfx.com/form/
    Monday, September 22, 2008 12:53 PM

All replies

• What type of server are you on?  Windows / Linux?
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Windows shared hosting.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:21 PM
  • I have found Jim Cheshire's Book Using Microsoft Expression Web 2, Special Edition to be excellent. It is easy to read with lots of screen shots to help with the step-by-step instructions. It also comes with a CD that contains the entire book along with some utilities. I purchased my copy from Inform IT .

Here is an article from the Expression Web Solution Center that gives a procedure for sending form results to multiple e-mail addresses: Article of Interest .

HTH,

-Preston
    Columbia, CA. USA
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:19 PM
  • As long as his hosting supports asp.net 2.0 I would agree with you on Jim's book however not all windows hosting has asp.net 2.0.  Many only support classic asp or asp.net 1.0/1.1 so that is something else to consider.

Most web hosts have a faq with a sample forms processor script for the components or server side scripting they support. I'd suggest checking there as well.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:02 PM
  • "As long as his hosting supports asp.net 2.0 I would agree with you on Jim's book however not all windows hosting has asp.net 2.0.  Many only support classic asp or asp.net 1.0/1.1 so that is something else to consider."

Thanks, Cheryl. And I certainly agree with you regarding checking with the host in order to find out which technologies they install and support.

<minor rant>I find it interesting that there is much ado regarding standardization of code for cross-browser/platform compatibility, but web hosts can't, or won't, help us achieve these worthwhile ends by having newer technologies available .</minor rant>

-Preston

Columbia, CA. USA
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Preston B said:

"As long as his hosting supports asp.net 2.0 I would agree with you on Jim's book however not all windows hosting has asp.net 2.0.  Many only support classic asp or asp.net 1.0/1.1 so that is something else to consider."

-Preston

Columbia, CA. USA

I'm with you on that. In fact, I've been looking around for a new provider because of some issues with latest-version ASP.NET availability, specifically the AJAX Control Toolkit. I've been looking very closely at these folks http://aspnix.com/hosting/shared-web-hosting/.

I mean, for someone who is pretty much committed to MS technologies and ASP.NET, that looks like a helluva package for the money. Plus, I could get away from that bloody slow-a.r.s.e Plesk control panel provided where I am now. Just wondered if anybody had any background with them. Any good or bad experiences? Inquiring minds want to know... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Monday, September 22, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Inquiring minds want to know... ;-)

Me too...
                  :O

Web Designers for Obama/Biden 08
    Monday, September 22, 2008 12:36 AM
  • FWIW, I don't think it is the host's job to help people who buy hositng create cross platform sites. I can do that on any host regardless of what server side tech they support as long as they support some form of server side processing for sending form results by email. If I have to I will even use Perl/CGI but frankly I still prefer Classic ASP but will use PHP, ASP.NET 2.0 (won't use 1.0/1.1 since the code output is too bad for my taste.)

As for ASPNIX hosting, two of the domains I manage aer hosted with them since Feb. So far no seriousissues but in a few email exchanges when one of the domains went down for about 4 hours as did their site it seemed pretty clear that English was not the native language of the person I was corresponding with. The one outage was the only major issue and I never did learn what caused it. As far as I can tell the client didn't lose any mail but did loose access for hours.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 12:48 AM
  • One thing I never thought FrontPage did well, not EW2 either, is form handling.  Here's a free one written in PHP that is very easy to set up, and will probably do everything you want: FormM@iler  I've been using it for years and it's great!  It comes with examples and instructions, and is free!  
    Monday, September 22, 2008 2:26 AM
  • Nice and free Expression Web asp.net form generator http://www.ctrfx.com/form/
    Monday, September 22, 2008 12:53 PM
  •  I've contacted my host godaddy.  Here what she said to do:  1. In my hosting account\settings\email add an email address to receive form info;  2. In the form properties of the Submit field:  for "file" put in gdform.asp;  "email address" the one I just added in step 1. Here's what it looks like:
    <form method="post" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">
          <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" U-File="gdform.asp" S-Format="" S-Email-Address="myemail@xxx.com" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE" -->
          <input name="Submit1" type="submit" value="Send" />
    This would save to file and also email.  Don't think I need to do that.

When I save the page, EW says "This form cannot be configured to send results via email.  The web site may be located at a disk-based location or on a server that has not been configured to send email. Contact your system administrator or internet service provider for more information."  I click "no" to remove email and save it.  What does this mean?

Any comments? Does this look correct? Thanks

• Edited by ToonMaker Monday, September 22, 2008 4:41 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:28 PM
  • ToonMaker said:

I've contacted my host godaddy.  Here what she said to do:  1. In my hosting account\settings\email add an email address to receive form info;  2. In the form properties of the Submit field:  for "file" put in gdform.asp;  "email address" the one I just added in step 1. Here's what it looks like:
    <form method="post" action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">
          <!--webbot bot="SaveResults" U-File="gdform.asp" S-Format="" S-Email-Address="myemail@xxx.com" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE" -->
          <input name="Submit1" type="submit" value="Send" />
    This would save to file and also email.  Don't think I need to do that.

When I save the page, EW says "This form cannot be configured to send results via email.  The web site may be located at a disk-based location or on a server that has not been configured to send email. Contact your system administrator or internet service provider for more information."  I click "no" to remove email and save it.  What does this mean?

Any comments? Does this look correct? Thanks

I haven't been an FPer for many years now, but IIRC, that looks a lot like an FP form handler. Now, again, I don't use FP or any of its forms capabilities, but I believe that you would have to have FPSE installed locally and at your provider, and not use FTP for publishing (it can corrupt the extensions) for these bots to function properly. Also, EW will let lie any existing FP-specific functionality, but AFAIK will not support creation or editing.

Also, I think that maybe your support misunderstood your meaning. If I'm not mistaken (could easily be ;-), the U-File parameter shown is the target filename for the SaveResults action, whereas I believe that the gdform.asp file is the processing file for the contact form, or perhaps the form itself, including processing. Have you looked at the contents of gdform.asp (gdform = godaddy form??) to see if it includes form fields, html markup, etc. which might indicate that it is the preferred contact form provided by godaddy? If so, you can probably just edit it and apply your CSS to achieve the desired look and feel of your site.

cheers,
    scott

Monday, September 22, 2008 5:28 PM