Looking for a way to interact with Serial port Kiosk vending machine RRS feed

• Question

• User-344050069 posted

Hi Guys,

I need to Read & Write to RS232 COM port from/to a Kiosk vending machine; (OS = Windows 7 embedded)

I know I should use more like a WPF app layer to do this but I don't have much choice to use a web GUI; 

I already tested how to send messages from the Asp.NET mvc app but my question is how to read real time events .

Before diving in doing some workaround "bricolage" stuff like creating a Windows Service to handle Serial in-com and save messages into a local database and then accessing the db from the GUI, I would know if someone would suggest me ideas to do it directly from the Asp.NET app or another Asp.NET webapi. ?

I'm a more back-end webapi and rich GUI dev guy and I need help to figure if there is any JavaScript framework or nugget package like Reactive or ??? which would help for this scenario ?

Thanks in advance for any help (Any sample would be appreciated)

-Vince

Friday, March 25, 2016 12:02 PM

All replies

• User-1185172246 posted

Is that Kiosk vending machine will be always attached to the server machine where you're going to host your website? Remember that ASP.NET code (C# or VB) runs on the server machine NOT on the client like javascript so the only way to read COM port from ASP.NET code is if the device will be attached to the server machine always. OTOH, if that device will be on the client side, then there's no javascript that can do that. You'll need to create a client app in .NET to read the COM port and send the data back to your website somehow.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:17 AM