Process performance monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• A background task named e.g. "MyBackgroundTask" (IBackgroundTask) is running on Windows 10 IOT Core (10.0.17763.437).
    The device is a Raspberry Pi 3B

How can I monitor CPU load, memory etc. related to this task? (I am currently using Windows Device Portal), I think the task is running within a host process, but I have no clue how to monitor my own task.

Any ideas?

• Edited by EuroEager Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:25 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hello EuroEager,

Yes, there is no taskmanager/resource monitor/performance monitor equivalences in IoT except the oversimplified Processes/Performance graphs in the Device Portal. You can write diagnostic code with APIs in namespace Windows.System.Diagnostics  to calculate the CPU, memory, disk usage.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by EuroEager Monday, May 13, 2019 4:16 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 1:31 AM

All replies

• This is a good resource related to memory:

Working with Memory Limits and Task Priorities in the UWP

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt742869.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:54 PM
  • Hello EuroEager,

You can also see this blog UWP App Diagnostics. It shows a sample  which can get process-specific metrics for each app on memory usage and CPU usage. It can run well on Windows IoT Core.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 10, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Thanks

So one actually needs to write diagnostic code to fetch simple counters like cpu load, memory use etc.?

Is there no taskmanager/resource monitor/performance monitor equivalences in IoT? (except the oversimplified Processes/Performance graphs in the Device Portal)

Friday, May 10, 2019 9:28 AM
  • Hello EuroEager,

Yes, there is no taskmanager/resource monitor/performance monitor equivalences in IoT except the oversimplified Processes/Performance graphs in the Device Portal. You can write diagnostic code with APIs in namespace Windows.System.Diagnostics  to calculate the CPU, memory, disk usage.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Marked as answer by EuroEager Monday, May 13, 2019 4:16 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 1:31 AM