Renew Developer License with Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration ERROR: 0x8007000D: The data is invalid

Question

• When i try to renew my developer license with the powershell: Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration i get: ERROR: 0x8007000D: The data is invalid. My computer is part of a samba domain. if i detach the computer from the Domain, the renewing works well. This problem appeared since i installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

My Environment:

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Visual Studio 2012 Professional

Domain: Linux Samba 3.6

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks for reporting this issue. We have determined that this is a regression bug in the Developer License registration functionality and are tracking it. There is no ETA on the fix though.

In the interim, the recommendation/ workaround is to take the machine out of your Linux Samba domain, and retrieve the developer license without adding the machine to a specific domain or add it to a Microsoft Active Directory domain.

If anyone else in the community is facing the same issue on Windows 8.1 ONLY (not Windows 8), please report it here.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:14 PM

All replies

• Can you share a copy of winstore.log from C:\Windows\temp?

Additionally, can you collect a WinHTTP ETW trace and share it with the winstore.log? Steps below:

- Open an elevated command prompt.

- Type: netsh trace start scenario=InternetClient_dbg capture=yes persistent=yes
    - <repro> issue
    - Type: netsh trace stop

Share the NetTrace.etl and the WinStore.log from C:\Windows\Temp directory on SkyDrive.

Windows Store Developer Solutions #WSDevSol || Want more solutions? See our blog, http://aka.ms/t4vuvz

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for your support. you can download the trace and the winstore.log under https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=ECAB81BE4F4F505D!105
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:12 AM
  • The Winstore.log is pretty much empty.

Can you share the WinStore.log file from: C:\Users\<YourUser>\AppData\Local\Temp. The WinHTTP trace doesn't show any "errors" as such, so the WinStore.log should throw some more light.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:36 PM
  • ok, now the winstore.log from my users temp is on https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=ECAB81BE4F4F505D!105

Tried to activate the developer license today on 07:30

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately the logs do not show any relevant information about the issue. I am still investigating this issue on our side.

Thanks,

Prashant

Monday, October 28, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Hello,

We will need to collect additional ETW traces to understand and analyze what exactly is happening for which I am going to suggest you to open a support case with our technical support team to investigate into this further.  

You may already have support cases associated with your developer account so you can use your developer account to open a support case.  

1.)    Visit the URL: http://aka.ms/storesupport with your developer account. 
    2.)    Towards the bottom of the page, there is a link that says “…contact us immediately.” 
    3.)    Click that link and then it will ask you to choose the support type. To reach the correct support team choose the following: 
    a. Problem Type: “Technical support for Windows Store and Windows Phone app development” 
    b. Category: “appropriate category" 
    c. Once you do that, there should be an option that lets you “Request a call”/ “Start Email” 

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this issue. We have determined that this is a regression bug in the Developer License registration functionality and are tracking it. There is no ETA on the fix though.

In the interim, the recommendation/ workaround is to take the machine out of your Linux Samba domain, and retrieve the developer license without adding the machine to a specific domain or add it to a Microsoft Active Directory domain.

If anyone else in the community is facing the same issue on Windows 8.1 ONLY (not Windows 8), please report it here.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:14 PM
  • I have the same issue on Windows 8.1 Pro with Update 1. I only noticed this after the applying update 1. Previously I have had no problems with getting and renewing developer licenses though I have been domain connected to a SAMBA pdc. This is affecting both VS2012 Premium and VS2013 Premium and I can only renew developer licenses if I disconnect from the domain (which is not a good solution for me as I need to use the domain account).
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:39 AM
  • Have the same problem with Windows 8.1 Pro with Update 1.

The workaround with executing the machine from domain has worked. But the licence has disappeared after I have returned my machine to domain and it is asked to renew the licence again.

So is it impossible to get the licence when the machine is in domain?

Also the same error appears with command Get-WindowsDeveloperLicence, that it just shows the information about licence. It is terrible. 

What the hell is going on with this licence? 

My solution was to delete the update KB2919355 and it is working now. Please fix it!

• Edited by FesOGrom Saturday, May 3, 2014 2:12 PM
    Saturday, May 3, 2014 11:23 AM
  • @FesOGrom....You mean to say that with KB 2919355 installed, when you took the machine out of your domain and ran the Show-WindowsDeveloperLicense cmdlet, the command retrieved the license, registered it successfully, but when you put your machine back in the domain, it asked you to register for a new developer license? What does the Get-WindowsDeveloperLicense cmdlet show you the expiration date when you put your machine back in the domain with KB 2919355 installed?

You also mention that removing KB 2919355 removes the above problem? I would suggest that you open a support case to troubleshoot the issue further when you have KB 2919355 installed.

You may already have support cases associated with your developer account so you can use your developer account to open a support case.   

1.)    Visit the URL: http://aka.ms/storesupportwith your developer account.  

2.)    Choose the "Developer Tools" category.

3.)    Click that link and then it will ask you to choose the support type. To reach the correct support team choose the following:  

a. Problem Type: “Technical support for Windows Store and Windows Phone app development” 
    b. Category: “appropriate category" 
    c. Once you do that, there should be an option that lets you “Request a call”/ “Start Email” 

Monday, May 5, 2014 5:06 PM