none
Problem with Missing reference errors occuring in Windows after editing a document on Word 2004 for Macintosh RRS feed

• Question

• Auuugh. Developing a cross platform VBA application is SOOOOO very frustrating.

I've got a Word addin that allowes the user to click a cell in a table and press a function key to colour that cell in the table, and add the product of other cells in the table to column 3 of the row that was clicked. It works in all versions of Word for Windows created this century. I now want to do a Mac version for Word 2004 and Word 2011 and 99% of the issues are solved.

The one remaining problem is that if I edit the document on a window machine is has references to the followng libraries

• Visual Basic for Applications
    • Microsoft Word 14.0 Object Library
    • OLE Automation
    • Microsoft Office 14.0 Object Library
    • Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library
    • Normal

As soon as I edit the document under Word 2004 for Macintosh and then return to Windows I have another Missing reference that shows up in the Tools > references as "MISSING: Normal". In the Project explorer window it shows up in the references folder as "Reference to :Normal" about the regular "Reference to Normal" entry.  Needless to say but this MISSING refererence causes unpredictable results including showing a message that the Disk is fully when attempting to save the document.

The document is stored at http://emarkingassistant.com/browse/eRubricAssistantFree/ and you can the way the software works at http://emarkingassistant.com/erubric_movie.html

My question is: How can I stor this occuring so users can edit the document on either Windows or Macintosh computers and move back and forth as they want?

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Peter Evans
    eMarking Assistant: helping teachers provide assessment feedback and use marking Rubrics

Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:26 PM

Answers

• Peter,

I can see the problem you are getting with your "edited on mac" sample. I certainly can't see a solution (at least not right now) to the reference to ":Normal". The only thing that seems to "fix" the specific error that is hghlighted is to change the "Date" function to either VBA.Date or, e.g., Now.

Nor have I been able to replicate this problem myself by saving from either Mac Word 2004 or 2011.

However, on your "problem 3", mentioned in the download file, the one thing I do notice is that when I open any of the documents in Word 2011 and look at the frmPackagedHelp form, the three text boxes are completely empty, and I cannot get text into them by typing, entering a value in Text, or via VBA. Is that what you see?

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, January 24, 2011 10:35 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:09 AM

All replies

• I was certainly able to replicate /a/ problem here with your sample document, but so far I haven't been able to create a document that contains an unlocked VBA project (which might make it easier to see what is going on) that shows the same error. The worst that happens so far is that I get the usual "project content disabled" messages).

So I wondered if you had tried stripping down your VBA project, either to see if a particular module was the culprit, or to the point where you could provide an unlocked copy without revealing your code.

The problem I did see was as follows:

a. opened your test document on Mac Word 2004

b. selected a rubric cell and pressed F5

c. saved/closed

d. opened in Win 7/Word 2010. Word displays a "There is a problem with this document" bar. If I click through that, it enables the macros and the document works OK.

Peter Jamieson
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:43 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Peter,  Thanks for your reply.

I have published an unprotected demo of the problem at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18519629/demo%20problems.doc

I have also edited the document on a mac and published the results at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18519629/demo%20problems%20%28edited%20on%20mac%29.doc

My question is: How can I stor this occuring so users can edit the document on either Windows or Macintosh computers and move back and forth as they want?

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Peter Evans
    eMarking Assistant: helping teachers provide assessment feedback and use marking Rubrics

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Peter,

I can see the problem you are getting with your "edited on mac" sample. I certainly can't see a solution (at least not right now) to the reference to ":Normal". The only thing that seems to "fix" the specific error that is hghlighted is to change the "Date" function to either VBA.Date or, e.g., Now.

Nor have I been able to replicate this problem myself by saving from either Mac Word 2004 or 2011.

However, on your "problem 3", mentioned in the download file, the one thing I do notice is that when I open any of the documents in Word 2011 and look at the frmPackagedHelp form, the three text boxes are completely empty, and I cannot get text into them by typing, entering a value in Text, or via VBA. Is that what you see?

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, January 24, 2011 10:35 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:09 AM