Help me to add paging to DataList RRS feed

• Question

• User426001450 posted

I'm having a hard time finding a good online article that explain how to add paging to DataList with Visual Basic code. Can anybody provide for me a good code example or a link. Please, Visual Basic only. It may be one of your examples or an online article. I have to repeat myself, Visual Basic only. Thanks to all.  

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:57 AM

Answers

• User426001450 posted

After many trials and tribulations I couldn’t make it to work. I tried hard but it didn’t work for me. My advice to all of you is to use a control that comes with automatic paging build in it. Instead of killing myself with DataList, I changed everything to ListView. This control comes with an automatic paging feature. Why should I kill myself if there is another ways to do it?

The one to blame here for all of this is Microsoft. I think that the company should homogenize all controls. These controls all display data in different ways but their purpose is the same. All of them should have the same features. Even though they are different, should be a standard between all of them. Things like formatting, paging, sorting and so on should be automatic features in all of them. For now, just use ListView instead of DataList. Thanks to all.    <o:p></o:p>

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 5:35 PM

All replies

• User991499041 posted

Hi Vstorpedo,

I'm having a hard time finding a good online article that explain how to add paging to DataList with Visual Basic code. Can anybody provide for me a good code example or a link. Please, Visual Basic only. It may be one of your examples or an online article. I have to repeat myself, Visual Basic only. Thanks to all.  

DataList control by default does not have paging (pagination) enabled hence we need to develop a custom pager control in order to implement paging in DataList control in ASP.Net.

Implement Paging in DataList control in ASP.Net

https://www.aspsnippets.com/Articles/Implement-Paging-in-DataList-control-in-ASPNet.aspx

Regards,

zxj

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:36 AM
  • User-335504541 posted

<g class="gr_ gr_12 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="12" data-gr-id="12">Hi</g> <g class="gr_ gr_11 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="11" data-gr-id="11">vstorpedo</g>,

vstorpedo

I'm having a hard time finding a good online article that explain how to add paging to DataList with Visual Basic code. Can anybody provide for me a good code example or a link. Please, Visual Basic only. It may be one of your examples or an online article.

I think you need to use buttons to page your <g class="gr_ gr_13 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="13" data-gr-id="13">datalist</g>.

You could refer to the following link for more information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/data-access/paging-and-sorting-with-the-datalist-and-repeater/paging-report-data-in-a-datalist-or-repeater-control-vb

Here is the code:

<p>
            <asp:DataList ID="ProductsDefaultPaging" runat="server" Width="100%" DataKeyField="ProductID" RepeatColumns="2" DataSourceID="ProductsDefaultPagingDataSource" EnableViewState="False">
                <ItemTemplate>
                    <h4><asp:Label ID="ProductNameLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("ProductName") %>'>
                    </asp:Label></h4>
                    Category:
                    <asp:Label ID="CategoryNameLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("CategoryName") %>'>
                    </asp:Label><br />
                    Supplier:
                    <asp:Label ID="SupplierNameLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("SupplierName") %>'>
                    </asp:Label><br />
                    <br />
                    <br />
                </ItemTemplate>
                <ItemStyle Width="50%" />
            </asp:DataList>

<asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ProductsDefaultPagingDataSource" runat="server"
                OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}" SelectMethod="GetProductsAsPagedDataSource"
                TypeName="ProductsBLL">
                <SelectParameters>
                    <asp:QueryStringParameter DefaultValue="0" Name="pageIndex" QueryStringField="pageIndex"
                        Type="Int32" />
                    <asp:QueryStringParameter DefaultValue="4" Name="pageSize" QueryStringField="pageSize"
                        Type="Int32" />
                </SelectParameters>
            </asp:ObjectDataSource>
        </p>
        <p style="text-align:center;">
            <asp:Button runat="server" ID="FirstPage" Text="<< First" />
            <asp:Button runat="server" ID="PrevPage" Text="< Prev" />
            <asp:Button runat="server" ID="NextPage" Text="Next >" />
            <asp:Button runat="server" ID="LastPage" Text="Last >>"  />
        </p>
        <p style="text-align:center;">
            <asp:Label runat="server" ID="CurrentPageNumber"></asp:Label>
        </p>

In code behind:

Public Function GetProductsAsPagedDataSource(ByVal pageIndex As Integer, _
            ByVal pageSize As Integer) As PagedDataSource
            ' Get ALL of the products
            Dim products As Northwind.ProductsDataTable = GetProducts()
            ' Limit the results through a PagedDataSource
            Dim pagedData As New PagedDataSource()
            pagedData.DataSource = products.Rows
            pagedData.AllowPaging = True
            pagedData.CurrentPageIndex = pageIndex
            pagedData.PageSize = pageSize
            Return pagedData
        End Function

Protected Sub FirstPage_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles FirstPage.Click
            ' Send the user to the first page
            RedirectUser(0)
        End Sub

Protected Sub PrevPage_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles PrevPage.Click
            ' Send the user to the previous page
            RedirectUser(PageIndex - 1)
        End Sub

Protected Sub NextPage_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles NextPage.Click
            ' Send the user to the next page
            RedirectUser(PageIndex + 1)
        End Sub

Protected Sub LastPage_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles LastPage.Click
            ' Send the user to the last page
            RedirectUser(PageCount - 1)
        End Sub

Private Sub RedirectUser(ByVal sendUserToPageIndex As Integer)
            ' Send the user to the requested page
            Response.Redirect(String.Format("Paging.aspx?pageIndex={0}&pageSize={1}", sendUserToPageIndex, PageSize))
        End Sub

Protected Sub ProductsDefaultPagingDataSource_Selected(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.ObjectDataSourceStatusEventArgs) Handles ProductsDefaultPagingDataSource.Selected
            ' Reference the PagedDataSource bound to the DataList
            Dim pagedData As PagedDataSource = CType(e.ReturnValue, PagedDataSource)

' Remember the total number of records being paged through across postbacks
            TotalRowCount = pagedData.DataSourceCount

' Configure the paging interface based on the data in the PagedDataSource
            FirstPage.Enabled = Not pagedData.IsFirstPage
            PrevPage.Enabled = Not pagedData.IsFirstPage
            NextPage.Enabled = Not pagedData.IsLastPage
            LastPage.Enabled = Not pagedData.IsLastPage

' Display the current page being viewed...
            CurrentPageNumber.Text = String.Format("You are viewing page {0} of {1}...", PageIndex + 1, PageCount)
        End Sub

#Region "Page-Level, Paging-Related properties"
        Private Property TotalRowCount() As Integer
            Get
                Dim o As Object = ViewState("TotalRowCount")
                If (o Is Nothing) Then
                    Return -1
                Else
                    Return Convert.ToInt32(o)
                End If
            End Get
            Set(ByVal Value As Integer)
                ViewState("TotalRowCount") = Value
            End Set
        End Property

Private ReadOnly Property PageCount() As Integer
            Get
                If TotalRowCount <= 0 OrElse PageSize <= 0 Then
                    Return 1
                Else
                    Return ((TotalRowCount + PageSize) - 1) / PageSize
                End If
            End Get
        End Property

Private ReadOnly Property PageIndex() As Integer
            Get
                If (Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(Request.QueryString("pageIndex"))) Then
                    Return Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString("pageIndex"))
                Else
                    Return 0
                End If
            End Get
        End Property

Private ReadOnly Property PageSize() As Integer
            Get
                If (Not String.IsNullOrEmpty(Request.QueryString("pageSize"))) Then
                    Return Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString("pageSize"))
                Else
                    Return 4
                End If
            End Get
        End Property
    #End Region

Best Regards,

Billy

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:48 AM
  • User426001450 posted

I'm trying to implement the code from this link: https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/457957/Pagination-with-DataList  , but the problem is that I already have a DataList and a sqlDataSource on my page. So, I do not need a code behind like the following to feed the sqlDataAdapter. 

Dim da As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter("select * from emp", "Data Source=.\SQLDB;Database=Test1;Integrated Security=True")

But instead I need my page datasource to populate the sqlDataAdapter in the code behind. How to do that?

For example, my sqlDataSource is call: sqlAllRecordsForPaintersDataSource, so is possible to do this or something similar in the code behind?

Dim da As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter("sqlAllRecordsForPaintersDataSource ")

Thanks for helping

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:58 AM
  • User-335504541 posted

<g class="gr_ gr_17 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="17" data-gr-id="17">Hi</g> vstorpedo,

Please try the following code:

In code behind:

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
            If Not IsPostBack Then
                CurrentPageIndex = 0
                showData()
            End If
        End Sub

Private pg As Integer = 0

Private Sub showData()
            Dim pgd As PagedDataSource = New PagedDataSource()
            pgd.DataSource = sqlAllRecordsForPaintersDataSource.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments.Empty())
            pgd.CurrentPageIndex = CurrentPageIndex
            pgd.AllowPaging = True
            pgd.PageSize = 3
            LinkButton2.Enabled = Not (pgd.IsLastPage)
            LinkButton3.Enabled = Not (pgd.IsFirstPage)
            DataList1.DataSource = pgd
            DataList1.DataBind()
        End Sub

Public Property CurrentPageIndex As Integer
            Get
                If ViewState("pg") Is Nothing Then Return 0 Else Return Convert.ToInt16(ViewState("pg"))
            End Get

Set(ByVal value As Integer)
                ViewState("pg") = value
            End Set
        End Property

Protected Sub LinkButton2_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
            CurrentPageIndex += 1
            showData()
        End Sub

Protected Sub LinkButton3_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
            CurrentPageIndex -= 1
            showData()
        End Sub

In <g class="gr_ gr_55 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="55" data-gr-id="55">aspx</g>:

<form id="form1" runat="server">
            <div>
                <asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server">
                    <HeaderTemplate>
                        <table border="1">
                    </HeaderTemplate>                
                    <ItemTemplate>                   
                        <tr>
                            <td><%#Eval("LastName")%></td>
                            <td><%#Eval("FirstName")%></td>
                            <td><%#Eval("Title")%></td>                        
                        </tr>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                    <FooterTemplate>
                        </table>
                    </FooterTemplate>
                </asp:DataList>
                <table class="style1">
                    <tr>
                        <td class="style2">
                            <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton2" runat="server" OnClick="LinkButton2_Click">Next</asp:LinkButton>
                        </td>
                        <td>
                            <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton3" runat="server" OnClick="LinkButton3_Click">Previous</asp:LinkButton>
                        </td>
                    </tr>
                </table>
            </div>
            <asp:SqlDataSource ID="sqlAllRecordsForPaintersDataSource" runat="server" ConnectionString="Data Source=(LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Northwind.MDF;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30" SelectCommand="select * from Employees">  
            </asp:SqlDataSource>
        </form>

And the result is:

Best Regards,

Billy

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:48 AM
  • User426001450 posted

Thanks for your help.

There is a problem on this line:

pgd.DataSource = sqlAllRecordsForPaintersDataSource.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments.Empty())

Select is not a member of DataList.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 5:12 PM
  • User-335504541 posted

<g class="gr_ gr_23 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="23" data-gr-id="23">Hi</g> vstorpedo,

Could you show me your code?

Best Regards,

Billy

Thursday, December 14, 2017 1:32 AM
  • User426001450 posted

My code is exactly the same as the one that you pasted before, but only that line is giving problem. This is the line that is giving problem in the code behind again, and the message is : Select is not a member of DataList. 

Private Sub showData()
            Dim pgd As PagedDataSource = New PagedDataSource()
            pgd.CurrentPageIndex = CurrentPageIndex
            pgd.AllowPaging = True
            pgd.PageSize = 3
            LinkButton2.Enabled = Not (pgd.IsLastPage)
            LinkButton3.Enabled = Not (pgd.IsFirstPage)
            sqlAllRecordsForPainterDataSource = pgd
    sqlAllRecordsForPainterDataSource.DataBind()
    End Sub
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 2:11 AM
  • User-335504541 posted

<g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="19" data-gr-id="19">Hi</g> <g class="gr_ gr_20 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="20" data-gr-id="20">vstorpedo</g>,

sqlAllRecordsForPainterDataSource = pgd

What's the sqlAllRecordsForPainterDataSource? Does it the <g class="gr_ gr_21 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" id="21" data-gr-id="21">datalist</g>? if so, I think it should be:

sqlAllRecordsForPainterDataSource.DataSource = pgd

And does your asp:SqlDataSource same as I provide?

Could you also show me your page?

Best Regards,

Billy

Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:55 AM
  • User426001450 posted

I can't make it to work. Still having a hard time after trying everything. On your first code I'm only having problem with this line:

Public Function GetProductsAsPagedDataSource(ByVal pageIndex As Integer,
            ByVal pageSize As Integer) As PagedDataSource
            ' Get ALL of the products
            Dim products As Northwind.ProductsDataTable = GetProducts()
            ' Limit the results through a PagedDataSource
            Dim pagedData As New PagedDataSource()
            pagedData.DataSource = products.Rows
            pagedData.AllowPaging = True
            pagedData.CurrentPageIndex = pageIndex
            pagedData.PageSize = pageSize
            Return pagedData
        End Function

This is from this link on one of your post:

: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/data-access/paging-and-sorting-with-the-datalist-and-repeater/paging-report-data-in-a-datalist-or-repeater-control-vb

Before you use all the code that you provided on your post, you must declared GetProduct(). This code need additional work.

May you help here?

Thanks

Friday, December 22, 2017 6:48 PM
  • User426001450 posted

After many trials and tribulations I couldn’t make it to work. I tried hard but it didn’t work for me. My advice to all of you is to use a control that comes with automatic paging build in it. Instead of killing myself with DataList, I changed everything to ListView. This control comes with an automatic paging feature. Why should I kill myself if there is another ways to do it?

The one to blame here for all of this is Microsoft. I think that the company should homogenize all controls. These controls all display data in different ways but their purpose is the same. All of them should have the same features. Even though they are different, should be a standard between all of them. Things like formatting, paging, sorting and so on should be automatic features in all of them. For now, just use ListView instead of DataList. Thanks to all.    <o:p></o:p>

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 5:35 PM