What is the correct approach to encrypt/decrypt large amounts of data with security certificates? RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked in many places and I have not been able to find an approach that works with large amounts of data. Has anyone been able to implement a solution successfully? Could someone point me to some good resources with good examples?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Refer to this MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms867080.aspx

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. MCPD,MCTS, MCT, MCSD .NET, MCAD .NET, MCSD. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

Does Vidya's suggestion help?

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, May 3, 2010 1:51 AM
  • While Vidya's suggestion gave me a good place to start out with, it did not fully satisfy my needs. The article describes a situation in which the public key of a certificate is used to create a new 3des key and iv that are used to encrypt/decrypt the data. I was looking for a solution that would just use the certificates public and private key to encrypt/decrypt the data.

Monday, May 3, 2010 1:10 PM
  •  

This article is talking about how to encrypt/decrypt using X509Certificate2 (public key, private key) in C# , is it what you're looking for?

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Even though I am getting an error "Key not valid for use in specified state.", that looks like what I was looking for.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:31 PM