Cannot connect to time Matters database Need to Reset SA Password and Mixed Mode to solve error message - RRS feed

• Question

• I am a complete novice and need step by step guidance, if possible.

Time Matters told me I need to call Microsoft to have you reset the SA password and mixed mode.txt so that I can access and operate my time Matters program. They told me that M/S (or SQL) provides the "spine" on which a number of programs operate.

When I try to sign onto Time Matters 12, I get the following message ""Incorrect SQL Server Settings" Description : Could not connect to the SQL database. ......

8001 - SQL Server does not exist or access denied. Recommended Action . review Support Center article 1D11148 for instructions to diagnose and resolve problem.""

• Edited by Setswana Friday, October 18, 2013 9:48 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Setswana,

So what I understood is that you have a application "Time Matters' and now you are not able to connect to this application with above mentioned error and SQL instance is in MIXED AUTHENTICATION MODE. Now few questions:

1) Are you sure your application is using "SA" account to connect to SQL Database?

2) Is that the application team told that they are using SA account to connect?

If answer is yes for above and you can try connecting to SQL Instance using WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION first

1) On server to go RUN and type SSMS and press enter, it will open SQL Server Management Studio

2) Once opened it will ask to provide user name/password to connect.

3) Check the Authentication mode field, change it to WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION, in next field your logged in user name will come.

Now if your User is a Local Admin on the box and BUILTINADMIN is not removed from SQL server then you can directly connect to SQL Instance and then on left side expand "Security" --> "Logins" and then right click on "SA" account and "Properties" and then change the password.

If this method fails (you are not able to connect) then you need to start SQL Server in single user mode and then connect to SQL and add a new user with SYSADMIN permission post which you need to connect to SQL with this newly created user and then reset existing "SA" account password.

How to do that, refer below url:

http://blogs.ameriteach.com/chris-randall/2009/12/11/sql-server-2008-forgot-to-add-an-administrator-account.html

Regards Gursethi Blog: http://gursethi.blogspot.com/ ++++ Please mark "Propose As Answer" if my answer helped ++++

• Edited by GURSETHI Friday, October 18, 2013 10:19 PM modified
    • Proposed as answer by Suhas Vallala Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Monday, October 28, 2013 9:02 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 10:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, October 25, 2013 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Setswana,

So what I understood is that you have a application "Time Matters' and now you are not able to connect to this application with above mentioned error and SQL instance is in MIXED AUTHENTICATION MODE. Now few questions:

1) Are you sure your application is using "SA" account to connect to SQL Database?

2) Is that the application team told that they are using SA account to connect?

If answer is yes for above and you can try connecting to SQL Instance using WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION first

1) On server to go RUN and type SSMS and press enter, it will open SQL Server Management Studio

2) Once opened it will ask to provide user name/password to connect.

3) Check the Authentication mode field, change it to WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION, in next field your logged in user name will come.

Now if your User is a Local Admin on the box and BUILTINADMIN is not removed from SQL server then you can directly connect to SQL Instance and then on left side expand "Security" --> "Logins" and then right click on "SA" account and "Properties" and then change the password.

If this method fails (you are not able to connect) then you need to start SQL Server in single user mode and then connect to SQL and add a new user with SYSADMIN permission post which you need to connect to SQL with this newly created user and then reset existing "SA" account password.

How to do that, refer below url:

http://blogs.ameriteach.com/chris-randall/2009/12/11/sql-server-2008-forgot-to-add-an-administrator-account.html

Regards Gursethi Blog: http://gursethi.blogspot.com/ ++++ Please mark "Propose As Answer" if my answer helped ++++

• Edited by GURSETHI Friday, October 18, 2013 10:19 PM modified
    • Proposed as answer by Suhas Vallala Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:52 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 10:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Friday, October 25, 2013 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:52 PM
  • If you need to reset the SA password, you can do it by using Windows Authentication. But only if you have selected Windows Authentication during SQL Server installation. In case if you have selected Basic Authentication, you cannot reset any password, either for an individual login or SA.

I can recommend you SysInfoTools MS SQL Server Password Recovery software to reset the SA password. It will help you unlock SQL Server by resetting a new password for your system administrator login. To read more about this software, visit: http://www.sysinfotools.com/sql-server-password-recovery.html

Thanks.

Friday, November 29, 2013 12:59 PM