wsdl basics RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I’m new to WCF, can you please clarify my basic doubt ?

-          I added a WCF service into my Web project

-          When I explored the service (under Service Reference of Visual Studio IDE) I got lot of wsdls (like abc1.wsdl,abc2.wsdl,abc3.wsdl...) and lot xsd files

-          I could understand the xsd files, they are just link between each other( i.e., found some Schema Location in on xsd which is pointing to another xsd)

-          But not clear with these wsdl files, what are they ? are they (each wsdl) referring one service? why do they have same name with 1,2,3...as suffix instead of having any different names (or is that designed like this) ?

Can anyone explain this ? or any links would be helpful

Also I  tried to simulate ( a wcf service with multiple wsdls) in a simple wcf project, just try to understand the concept, can you explain me the steps to do?

MSK

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:14 AM

Answers

• The WSDL file or a service is the metadata of the service.

Basically it describes the contract of your service. What is the address of your service, what methods do you expose, what parameter do they accept, what do they return. The last two (parameters and returns types) are detailed in those XSD files.

The WSDL file is used by the consumers of your service. By looking at the WSDL they know how to format a request... For example, Visual Studio or Svcutil use the WSDL or a metadata endpoint to generate a proxy for a service.

If this post answers your quenstion, please mark it as such. If this post is helpful, click 'Vote as helpful'.
    • Proposed as answer by Peter Borremans Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Friday, February 17, 2012 8:08 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 10:34 AM