Synching Access client-side forms to Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an Access web database that contains client-side forms.  It is now published to a Sharepoint site. The intent is for users to run the database on their computers and access the data on the sharepoint site. 

The database is web-compatible according to the Checker.

My question is - when I make changes to the forms, and sync with SharePoint, will these changes synch back down to other users?  It does not seem to be working.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi. Without seeing what you got, I am guessing you're talking about Access and SharePoint 2010. If you're saying you're modifying forms in a desktop Access application, then I'm afraid those changes won't propagate to your users, unless you "publish" the file to SharePoint again and have your users download them. Synching, I think, only works with the data. Just my 2 cents...
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Thanks.  it is already published.  When I click to publish again, nothing happens.  Seems that if just a couple changes are made, they will synch, but not a whole bunch of changes.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Thanks.  it is already published.  When I click to publish again, nothing happens.  Seems that if just a couple changes are made, they will synch, but not a whole bunch of changes.

Without seeing what you're doing, I'm not sure I understand what's happening. So, are you using SharePoint 2010? If so, "publishing" your desktop database merely puts a copy of it in SharePoint. The users will have to download the file again to see the changes.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:29 PM
  • In this case, when I clicked Publish originally, it converted the Access tables to SharePoint lists etc.

Now users can work with the frontend offline and when they reconnect, it synchs any data updates.

However, there seems to be an issue with synching updates to the forms.  If I only make 1 or 2 minor changes, these synch to other users with no problem.  But if I make many changes, they will not synch.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:51 PM
  • In this case, when I clicked Publish originally, it converted the Access tables to SharePoint lists etc.

Now users can work with the frontend offline and when they reconnect, it synchs any data updates.

However, there seems to be an issue with synching updates to the forms.  If I only make 1 or 2 minor changes, these synch to other users with no problem.  But if I make many changes, they will not synch.

How do the users actually perform the sync?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:07 PM
  • Should happen automatically. But user can click File - Info - Sync all.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:10 PM
  • Should happen automatically. But user can click File - Info - Sync all.

Ok. Unless I am mistaken, I think that only syncs data - not form changes. Also, how exactly were you changing the forms? Or more specifically, which file were you changing? Were you clicking on the "gear" icon to download the .ACCDW file to make your changes?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:21 PM
  • No. It is an Access web database. So the designing etc is done on a copy sitting on my desktop. Then I synch it with the copy on the SharePoint site. This will synchronize any design changes, creating sharepoint lists as needed etc, and also update any forms and coding in any modules to the copy on the sharepoint site. Then another user who also has a copy on their desktop, can synch and pick up the changes I made.  A person can also run the database directly from SharePoint using any web forms created.  The data lists remain synched between the sharepoint site and the desktop copies.  So on the desktop it remains an accdb database.

The other way creates the .accdw file, and can only be edited by clicking the Gear icon.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 11:35 PM
  • Hi serenejen,

>> when I make changes to the forms, and sync with SharePoint, will these changes sync all back down to other users
    Do you mean there are some changes not sync all to other users? It would be helpful if you could share us more details steps about how other users get latest changes.

I think there changes would not synch back to other users automatically. Other users need to Sync all from Access web database. Based on your description, there are three users, two is developer users and one is end user. In my option, if one of the developer users sync all changes to sharepoint, the end user would get latest form by refreshing page. But for other developer users, I think he need to manually sync all from Access web database.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Edward,

I am saying that my (developer) changes are not synching to other users if I make a bunch of changes.

Normally, as soon as the other users open the database (sitting on their desktop), it will synch with the copy on the sharepoint site.  Otherwise, they can click File -> Info -> Sync All to pick up all the changes that I made.

If there are several changes, they are not propagating down to other users when they sync, even when they do the Sync All.

• Edited by serenejen Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Hi. Unfortunately, I don't have a web database to use for testing, so I'm not sure how to help you. I thought to modify the web database, you'll have to use the ACCDW file.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Yes that is for a web application.  In this case, the logic resides in the client database that runs on the desktop because features were needed that the web did not support.

So users do not run it from the web browser, they run it in Access on their desktops.  But it is synched to a copy on SharePoint with data that resides in SharePoint lists.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Hi serenejen,

>> I am saying that my (developer) changes are not synching to other users if I make a bunch of changes

What is a bunch of changes, is it form, query or report? I made a test with Form, but I failed to reproduce your issue. First, I suggest you check the Application log table to see whether there is error. Second, after you sync all, will the changes show in the Access web database in web browser.

>> So users do not run it from the web browser, they run it in Access on their desktops.  But it is synched to a copy on SharePoint with data that resides in SharePoint lists.

For this situation, I would suggest you use split Access database as Front end and back end. You could use Access client and Access web database Front end to connect the same back end.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 7:59 AM
  • The changes are to client-side forms so they will not show up in the web browser.

After the Sync All, if only 1 or 2 changes are made to a form, they show up.  If more changes were made to the same form, none of the changes show up.

Saturday, February 6, 2016 6:32 PM
  • Hi serenejen,

>>If more changes were made to the same form, none of the changes show up.

I am not sure with "more changes". If you split more changes into 2 changes many times, would it show up?

Best Regards,

Edward

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:18 AM
  • Yes, You got it.

When I made changes to several queries, and several forms, only some of the changes showed up.

So I went back in and changed one query again.  Then that one change showed up automatically.

I then changed 2 labels on a form, those changes showed up automatically.

Then I changed stuff on 2 forms.  I had to click the sync All for the changes to show up.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 4:22 PM
  • Hi serenejen,

>>When I made changes to several queries, and several forms, only some of the changes showed up

If you click sync all, will all the changes show up?

Best Regards,

Edward

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:56 AM
  • No. Clicking Sync All did not bring in the changes.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 4:50 AM