Specify OS Disk Size RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've created a VM based on a Marketplace image. This VM has an OS disk that has been resized to 128GB and then is sysprepped. The VHD of this VM is used for a custom image within DTL

When I create a VM based on this Custom Image the OS disk is always 30GB even when I specify a bigger machine size.

Can someone explain this behavior? Is it possible to specify the OSDisk size in an DLT Arm template? 

Edit: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4018933/the-default-size-of-windows-server-images-in-azure-is-changed-from-128

When is this fixed? It is from april 2017

Regards,

Joost
    Sunday, December 16, 2018 12:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Joost,

While we are investigating this issue, I want to clarify a few things:

1. It is not possible to specify the OSDisk size in a DTL ARM template.

2. This issue (The issue mentioned in the edit) is fixed now. If you provision a regular VM using an image from the marketplace, you will get 128 GB OSDisk space whereas if you provision VMs using smaller images which are prepended with  “[smalldisk]” in the image title on Azure Portal, you will get 30 GB OSDisk space. For more information refer to this link.

To make sure I am reproducing the same scenario, I assume you are following the below steps:

1. Use an image prepended with “[smalldisk]” from the marketplace.

2. Resize the 30 gb OSDisk space to 128 gb using this link.

3. Create a custom image from that VHD in DTL.

4. Provision another VM using the custom image.

And you still get a 30 GB OSDisk size. Is that correct?

Edit: I have followed the above steps and I am getting a 128 GB OSDisk space in the new VM created using the custom image. Request you to kindly recheck everything at your end and please feel to reach out if you need any more help.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:16 AM