none
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. RRS feed

• Question

• @@RyanHill-MSFT

Please could you or anyone assist. I keep getting this exception error:

So I added a feature to upload files from our web app to a blob and I have already added the connection String details for the storage account to the app.config. But I keep getting this throw exception:

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 
    Line 28: 
    Line 29:                 {
    Line 30:                     string connstring = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["AzureStorageAccount"].ConnectionString;
    Line 31:                     string localFolder = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["sourceFolder"];
    Line 32: 

Source File: C:\Users\Tom\Source\Repos\Code\InspectorPlus.Web\App\Manage\UploadExternalFile\Default.aspx.cs    Line: 30 

Stack Trace: 
    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       InspectorPlus.Web.App.Manage.UploadExternalFile.Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Tom\Source\Repos\Code\InspectorPlus.Web\App\Manage\UploadExternalFile\Default.aspx.cs:30
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +52
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +97
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +61
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +693

AbaDougan

Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:04 PM

Answers

• The configSections you pointed out gets added when you add EntityFramework to your project. That's fine to leave alone. You should put your connectionStrings in the web.config. Just copy/paste the entire <connectionStrings>...</connectionStrings> from your app.config and redeploy.

Feel free to reach back out if you continue to run into issues.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Friday, August 23, 2019 12:51 PM
  • @Ryan, please I did that but I had to add the connection string for the storage account to the connection string already in the web.config and same for the app.settings but i was still getting the error..

Also, from my research, I learnt I can use this below if i am having the parse issues.

StorageCredentials credentials = new StorageCredentials("accountname", "key");
      CloudStorageAccount storageAccount = new CloudStorageAccount(credentials, true);

and I can now see the blobs in the blob container.

Thanks for your support and help as always. 

AbaDougan

• Marked as answer by Aba Dougan Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:19 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 6:36 PM

All replies

• Aba,

What is

<connectionStrings>
       <add name="AzureStorageAccount" connectionString="..." />
    </connectionStrings>

set to in your app.config? Are you including your app.config as a configSection in your web.config?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:57 PM
  • Yes, I have connectionStrings in the app.config and not the web.config

AbaDougan

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:04 PM
  • Do I need to add to the web.config?

AbaDougan

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:07 PM
  • So the sql db connstring is also set up in the app.config but also in the web.config...

in the app.config, the below is in the configSections....but looks like i have put the connectionString in the web.config

<configSections>

<section name="entityFramework" type="System.Data.Entity.Internal.ConfigFile.EntityFrameworkSection, EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*****"

requirePermission="false" />

<!-- For more information on Entity Framework configuration, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237468 -->

</configSections>

AbaDougan

Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:48 PM
  • The configSections you pointed out gets added when you add EntityFramework to your project. That's fine to leave alone. You should put your connectionStrings in the web.config. Just copy/paste the entire <connectionStrings>...</connectionStrings> from your app.config and redeploy.

Feel free to reach back out if you continue to run into issues.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Friday, August 23, 2019 12:51 PM
  • ok, I will do that, and revert ..thanks

AbaDougan

Friday, August 23, 2019 2:59 PM
  • @Ryan, please I did that but I had to add the connection string for the storage account to the connection string already in the web.config and same for the app.settings but i was still getting the error..

Also, from my research, I learnt I can use this below if i am having the parse issues.

StorageCredentials credentials = new StorageCredentials("accountname", "key");
      CloudStorageAccount storageAccount = new CloudStorageAccount(credentials, true);

and I can now see the blobs in the blob container.

Thanks for your support and help as always. 

AbaDougan

• Marked as answer by Aba Dougan Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:19 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2019 6:36 PM
  • Glade we were able to get it sorted out.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Monday, August 26, 2019 1:05 PM