Web Deployment Projects wont split dll's RRS feed

• Question

• User1194480276 posted

Hi

When i try to build my Web Application project using the Web Deployment Projects the dll's aren't splitting into seperate asemblys as i have set it to.

My output look like this:

------ Build started: Project: ClassLib, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    ClassLib -> C:\Users\Heu\Desktop\SBCms_Release_1_0\ClassLib\bin\Release\ClassLib.dll
    ------ Skipped Build: Project: SBCms Website, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
    ------ Build started: Project: SBCms Website.vbproj_deploy, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    if exist ".\TempBuildDir\" rd /s /q ".\TempBuildDir\"
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v "/SBCms Website.vbproj" -p "C:\Users\Heu\Desktop\SBCms_Release_1_0\SBCms Website" -u -f .\TempBuildDir\
    Running aspnet_merge.exe.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\aspnet_merge.exe .\TempBuildDir -prefix test_ -a -copyattrs
    aspnet_merge : warning 1013: Cannot find any assemblies that can be merged in the application bin folder.
    Successfully merged '.\TempBuildDir'.
    if exist "C:\Users\Heu\Desktop\SBCms_Release_1_0\SBCms Website.vbproj_deploy\Release\" rd /s /q "C:\Users\Heu\Desktop\SBCms_Release_1_0\SBCms Website.vbproj_deploy\Release\"
    if not exist "C:\Users\Heu\Desktop\SBCms_Release_1_0\SBCms Website.vbproj_deploy\Release\" md "C:\Users\Heu\Desktop\SBCms_Release_1_0\SBCms Website.vbproj_deploy\Release\"
    if exist ".\TempBuildDir\" rd /s /q ".\TempBuildDir\"
    Done building project "SBCms Website.vbproj_deploy.wdproj".
    ========== Build: 2 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 1 skipped ==========

As you see there is an error, but i'm only getting this when i build it in a Web Application Project. If i just create a Website Procjet it works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• User-245464876 posted

hello,

first of all, it's not an error but just a warning.

to fix it, you should make the following : 

right click on the web deployment project -> properties and in the Output Assemblies : thick the option "Create a separate assembly for each page and control output"

hope it helps

Sunday, August 2, 2009 6:07 AM
  • User1194480276 posted

Thanks for you reply.

I tryed to do as you suggested but it's sill merging the project into one dll in the bin folder.

I would like to use the option: Merge each individual folder output to its own assembly.
    Cause that looked like what I was looking for to achieve with dll's splitted into different folders like Project.Folder.Item.dll.
    As i would like to update some dll's this seems like a nice approach.

The fact that it doesn't work is making my head explode cause it should work with Web Applications aswell and not just Website Projects.

It feels like i have tryed everything, but i hope there is a solution out there.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 9:27 AM
  • User1194480276 posted

If i untick "Allow this precompiled site to be updateable" then it works except i do want it to be updateable.

I don't want all those .compiled files.

Any ideas why it's working like this and not when it's ticked?

Sunday, August 2, 2009 9:37 AM
  • User-245464876 posted

why do you need to make a web application and not a web site project ?

Sunday, August 2, 2009 9:40 AM
  • User1194480276 posted

The problem is that it is allready a Web Application with a lot of code.

What pros and cons are there for using Web Application versus Website Project?

I guess it wouldn't be that hard to convert it.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:46 AM
  • User-245464876 posted

here is an article which covers this topic

http://www.codersbarn.com/post/2008/06/ASPNET-Web-Site-versus-Web-Application-Project.aspx

the conclusion : give up on the website project and use the web application.

about converting your website to web app

they are plenty of website covering this

here is one of them : http://weblogs.asp.net/meligy/archive/2008/08/03/converting-vs-2008-website-to-web-application.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 12:37 PM
  • User1194480276 posted

My problem is that i'm allready using  the "Web Application Project", but the Web Deployment Project doesn't work (for some reason)

So i have now converted the whole project to a "Web Site" (by copying code, so much fun Tongue out) and now the Web Deployment Project does work and does the job as it should.

I kinda like the "Web Application Project" better as i'm more used to it but i don't really see the big difference, i don't know, what do you think?

Sunday, August 2, 2009 7:05 PM
  • User2129638060 posted

I'm currently facing exactly the same issue as I need to use Web Application and would want to compile multiple assemblies based on their respective folder.

May I know anyone out there has a solution or know whether this is covered in Visual Studio 2010?

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:01 PM