synchronous mirroring SQL 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

am going to implement synchronous database mirroring using SQL 2008 , my question what if my replica server went down for any reason and the mirrored database becam unrecahble how principle will react in "synchronous mirroring " architcuer ..

thnaks in advance  

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:44 AM

Answers

• Yes, It mirrored goes down, there will be zero impact on principle database.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Marked as answer by SQL Kitchen Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:55 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:23 AM

All replies

• High-Safety Mode Without Automatic Failover : When the partners are connected and the database is already synchronized, manual failover is supported. If the mirror server instance goes down, the principal server instance is unaffected and runs exposed (that is without mirroring the data). If the principal server is lost, the mirror is suspended, but service can be manually forced to the mirror server (with possible data loss).

High-Safety Mode with Automatic Failover :

• If the principal server becomes unavailable under the above conditions, automatic failover occurs. The mirror server switches to the role of principal, and it offers its database as the principal database.
    • If the principal server becomes unavailable when those conditions are not met, forcing service (with possible data loss) might be possible.
    • If the only mirror server becomes unavailable, the principal and witness continue.

Helpful link : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179344(v=sql.90).aspx

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:36 AM
  • very informative .. thank you

meaning that if the mirrored server goes down , the principle database (my main database) will operating normally with 0 imapct .. am i right ?

sorry for stress on this point as my database is very critical :)

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Yes, It mirrored goes down, there will be zero impact on principle database.

• Marked as answer by SQL Kitchen Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:55 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Thnak you
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:55 AM