none
The best computer for Kinect development RRS feed

• Question

• I want to build a custom computer for my Kinect Development.  I understand that it should have at least 4 separate USB cards installed. One for each camera. Other than that, I don't know if there are considerations that I should know about.  Does anyone have experience with this?
    Sunday, March 4, 2012 7:33 PM

Answers

• You have said my problem more clearly than I could have and I thank you.  When you mention power points, does that mean the power consumed by 4 separate USB cards?  Do you think I will need a larger power supply?  I am hoping that someone has tried more than one Kinect Camera and has some feedback.  I did not find any mention of multiple cameras anywhere.

No, the kinect requires external power (external to your computer's USB). The connector looks like this for a Xbox 360 kinect if you wish to connect it to your PC http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Kinect-Adapter-Power-Supply/dp/B004IXRXGY keep in mind the kinect for windows uses a similar connector (well its not exactly a connector as it is just the standard included cord you can't unplug), with a shorter cord.

So you'll need 1x USB, 1x mains power (or external power supply if you plan on mounting it on something). If you have the xbox 360 kinect, you'll notice that it isn't a USB connector, rather a funnily shaped one, that is for the xbox 360 slim.

You can in fact cut the cable open, which has been done multiple times before, but you'd best be wary if you're not sure what you're doing.

Monday, March 5, 2012 12:36 AM

All replies

• I want to build a custom computer for my Kinect Development.  I understand that it should have at least 4 separate USB cards installed. One for each camera. Other than that, I don't know if there are considerations that I should know about.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Hi there, the best thing to consult is the kinectforwindows.org website, the recommended specifications are listed here; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/overview.aspx

Based on the hardware specifications, anything at that processor speed/faster will be adequate. I find on a 2.0 ghz dual core it works just fine at 30fps, so long as i don't up the resolution of the depth feed above 320x240 (say to 640x480). Which is a bit of a restriction, I doubt you will have any issues with a processor faster than 2.66 Ghz though.

Keep in mind if you're actually planning on using 4 kinects, that's 4 power points. You're seriously going to run out of power points soon ;)

Sunday, March 4, 2012 9:51 PM
  • You have said my problem more clearly than I could have and I thank you.  When you mention power points, does that mean the power consumed by 4 separate USB cards?  Do you think I will need a larger power supply?  I am hoping that someone has tried more than one Kinect Camera and has some feedback.  I did not find any mention of multiple cameras anywhere.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 11:30 PM
  • for internal testing, we do 4 Kinect sensor tests on:

HP 8200 Elite SFF
    Intel Core I7 2600
    8GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    Intel 6 Series USB on-board
    2 Renesas USB 3.0 cards

Monday, March 5, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Thank you for your information. I really appreciate it.
    Monday, March 5, 2012 12:34 AM

No, the kinect requires external power (external to your computer's USB). The connector looks like this for a Xbox 360 kinect if you wish to connect it to your PC http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Kinect-Adapter-Power-Supply/dp/B004IXRXGY keep in mind the kinect for windows uses a similar connector (well its not exactly a connector as it is just the standard included cord you can't unplug), with a shorter cord.

So you'll need 1x USB, 1x mains power (or external power supply if you plan on mounting it on something). If you have the xbox 360 kinect, you'll notice that it isn't a USB connector, rather a funnily shaped one, that is for the xbox 360 slim.

You can in fact cut the cable open, which has been done multiple times before, but you'd best be wary if you're not sure what you're doing.

Monday, March 5, 2012 12:36 AM
  • yes, you will need external AC adapters for each sensor as noted above. I don't recommend cutting the cable open.
    Monday, March 5, 2012 1:18 AM