How to Migrate SQL Server 2008 R2 with least amount of downtime and data loss? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

What is the best way to migrate a SQL database in the following scenario, minimizing downtime/data loss as much as possible?

Database size: 600GB

Source server: SQL Server 2008 R2
    Source environment speed: 10mbps up/down

Destination server: SQL Server 2008 R2
    Destination environment speed: 300mbps up/down

The environments are separated over the internet.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hello Robin,

1) Replicate the database files between servers using SAN replication. This will ensure no downtime and I am sure with no data loss.

2) Logshipping is also something you can look for.

3) Backup and restore - Backup and restore full database backup with no recovery. Then Differential backup at a later stage with no recovery. Use Tlog backup for final cutover.

Regards;
    Vivek Janakiraman
    ----------------------------
    My Blog
    My Linkedin Page
    ----------------------------

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:13 PM
  • Hi Robin Shanab,

I suggest you use backup and restore. You need database full backup and differential backup and Tail log backup. There is no data loss, but it will spend more time. By the way, Microsoft announced that Extended Support for SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 will end on July 9, 2019. we can check it from Extended support for SQL Server 2008 ended on July 9, 2019 and this blog. I suggest you migrate your SQL server database to a newer version.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:48 AM