none
Date and Time in MIME format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I check the MIME format of a mail sent from exchange 13 or exchange 16, I was able to see multiple Date formats mentioned .

Could you please explain why it is showing in such a way. Which date and time parameter should be considered.

Please refer to the screenshot:

Thanks and Regards

Jaya Prakash

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:03 AM

Answers

• The received headers you have reflect the transit of the Message as it passed through various MTA's (Message Transfer Agents) and the datetime you see reflects the local time on the MTA. Its common to see multiple timezone if your message is bounced across a large private or public Mail server network (relatively good explanation of that https://www.pobox.com/helpspot/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=253  ). The received headers are useful when it comes to AntiSpam type analysis from a client perspective the date you would look at to see when the message was sent is the bottom one which should be the local datetime on the original sending Agent/client.  Anything related to MIME you should refer back to the relevant RFC eg 822 https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822 

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:00 PM

All replies

• Those are email headers. I think that MIME is not relevant to headers. MIME is relevant to the format of data in the body of the message. If Exchange is calling that MIME then it is probably misleading.

I see only one date format. Where do you see multiple formats? I see two timezones. Do you understand how timezones work? Do you see the "+0900"? Note that 15+9=24. So that explains why the one time is for midnight.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 8:44 PM
  • The received headers you have reflect the transit of the Message as it passed through various MTA's (Message Transfer Agents) and the datetime you see reflects the local time on the MTA. Its common to see multiple timezone if your message is bounced across a large private or public Mail server network (relatively good explanation of that https://www.pobox.com/helpspot/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=253  ). The received headers are useful when it comes to AntiSpam type analysis from a client perspective the date you would look at to see when the message was sent is the bottom one which should be the local datetime on the original sending Agent/client.  Anything related to MIME you should refer back to the relevant RFC eg 822 https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822 

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:00 PM
  • Hi Glen,

Thanks for the reply.

An extension to that, the time zone present in which header is considered by Outlook.

1) Is it the time zone present in Received header or in the Date header.

2) Suppose my exchange server is in European time zone and I am using my Outlook in Indian time zone, what would be the Date/Time represented when I open the mail , would it be European or Indian.

Thanks and Regards

Jaya Prakash

Friday, March 30, 2018 10:22 AM
  • It depends on the method the message is sent by, eg if they use Outlook then the Exchange Store would be the submitting agent so the time should be UTC as Exchange store all the Date-time in UTC.

IMO your looking at this the wrong way the RFC is written to ensure that any Mail client sending a message will include any UTC offset in the datetime sent so any receiving agent or client can then use this time to display the correct local time the message was sent regardless of the Sending Agent and timezone difference. The only DateTime that the clients will look at is the last one but the offset may vary based on the way the client agent has implemented it but the offset will always be there. (eg you shouldn't expect the date to be always UTC so you should always process the offset).

. Exchange itself does store messages as MIME so an Internal Message sent between two users on the same server will use TNEF (Transport Neutral encapsulation format) and the datetime will be sent as one of these properties. 

Cheers
    Glen

Monday, April 2, 2018 11:46 PM