none
Timing issue with mailbox permission cmdlets RRS feed

• Question

• hi there!

we have severe issues using remote powershell within a dotnet application when trying to add or remove mailbox permissions.
    the same issue was already discussed here, but sadly no definitive answer was given.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/ea4acd79-f5c6-4af4-a4f7-898734fe86fc/powershell-applying-multiple-permission-changes-on-one-mailbox

even after changing our code to explicitly specifiy a single domain controller for all cmdlets, it still doesn't consistently work.

for example:

executing

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity user1 -User manager1 -AccessRights FullAccess -AutoMapping $true -Confirm:$false -DomainController dc1.domain.local

and immediatley executing

Get-MailboxPermission -Identity user1 -DomainController dc1.domain.local

a few times over shows, that the newly added permission appears, disapperas, appears, disappers and so on, for about 20 sec, before it "sticks". although the domain controller parameter is set!?

if we execute a few Add-MailboxPermission and Remove-MailboxPermission in a single script, the issue gets worse.

even in ECP it doesn't work:
    selecting a mailbox, viewing the delegates and adding or removing more than 2 permissions at a single "save" click, produces inconsistent results every time.

so... is this a bug? known issue? or do we have a replication problem in our domain

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:59 PM

Answers

• if anyone reads this, the latest hotfix rollup for exchange 2013 fixed this timing issue.

• Marked as answer by MagicSteven Monday, January 13, 2014 9:45 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 9:45 AM

All replies

• If you do nslookup,which dc is the server connected to?

can you even test mailflow with the following command:

Test-Mail flow serverMAIL01 -TargetDatabase DB01

Does mail flow works at all?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:47 PM
  • it should be the same DC as specified in the commands, but I'm not sure.
    Do you think that this could be a problem?
    I'll modify the code to use the same DC at -DomainController as the current logonserver of the user's session who is using the application.

//edit:
    no, that doesn't make any sense. i'm using remote powershell to execute commands, so my local logon server is irrelevant.

Test-MailFlow works also without any issues

• Edited by MagicSteven Friday, November 15, 2013 8:02 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 7:56 AM
  • if anyone reads this, the latest hotfix rollup for exchange 2013 fixed this timing issue.

• Marked as answer by MagicSteven Monday, January 13, 2014 9:45 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 9:45 AM
  • Hi there,

I have been pulling every strand of my hair out over this! Can you give me some more information about the hotfix rollup. Do you have any information about where I can get this from and also if there is a number associated with it?

Thanks heaps

Monday, January 20, 2014 4:34 AM