none
Bug in Excel 2016 64bit: The Macro dialog shows all controls disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If you have an add-in showing a Ribbon button having a specific ID in Excel 2016 64bit (see build numbers below), the Macro dialog (Alt+F8) doesn't let you run some macros having specific names.

VSTO add-in

Ribbon XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
      <ribbon>
        <tabs>
          <tab id="myTab" label="ExcelAddIn8">
            <group id="MyGroup" label="My Group">
              <button id="TabAblebitsData.GroupMerge.VLookup" 
                      getDescription="getDescription_Callback" 
                      getEnabled="getEnabled_Callback" 
                      getKeytip="getKeytip_Callback" 
                      getLabel="getLabel_Callback" 
                      getScreentip="getScreenTip_Callback" 
                      getShowImage="getShowImage_Callback" 
                      getShowLabel="getShowLabel_Callback" 
                      getSize="getSize_Callback" 
                      getSupertip="getSuperTip_Callback" 
                      getVisible="getVisible_Callback" 
                      onAction="onActionCommon_Callback" />
            </group>
          </tab>
        </tabs>
      </ribbon>
    </customUI>

Callbacks.

#region Ribbon Callbacks
            //Create callback methods here. For more information about adding callback methods, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=271226

public void Ribbon_Load(Office.IRibbonUI ribbonUI) {
                this.ribbon = ribbonUI;
            }

public string getKeytip_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return "MyKeyTip";
            }

public string getLabel_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return "my Label";
            }
            public bool getVisible_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return true;
            }

public bool getEnabled_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return true;
            }

public stdole.IPictureDisp GetImage(string imageName) {
                return null;
            }
            public bool getShowImage_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return false;
            }

public string getScreenTip_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return "";
            }

public string getSuperTip_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return "";
            }

public void onActionCommon_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                MessageBox.Show("!!! " + control.Id);
            }

public bool getShowLabel_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return true;
            }

public string getDescription_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return "";
            }

public Office.RibbonControlSize getSize_Callback(Office.IRibbonControl control) {
                return Microsoft.Office.Core.RibbonControlSize.RibbonControlSizeRegular;
            }
            #endregion

VBA macro

Create an .XLSM conaining the below macro in ThisWorkbook. The macro has no code as you can see:

Sub SecurityTest

End Sub

How to reproduce the issue

Save the XLSM, and build the add-in project. Double-click the XLSM (this starts Excel), switch to the tab that the add-in creates, click the button, close the message box (see the callbacks above), and press Alt+F8 to open the Macro dialog. Here's what we get:

The Macro dialog shows all controls disabled (except for the Create button)
    That is, the Macro dialog shows all controls disabled (except for the Create button). This doesn't let us start the macro.

This issue can be reproduced in several other ways; I just can't describe all of them. We reproduce the issue on these Office builds:

• Office ProPlus Version 1701 (Build 7766.2099)
    • Office Business Version 1707 (Build 8326.2096)
    • Office Business Version 1708 (Build 8431.2062)

The issue doesn't show itself on 32bit Office versions.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I still failed to reproduce scenario#1 in Excel 64bit using your add-in or mine or new created one in new machines. Our test machines are using Office 365 ProPlus/Win10 64bit. We don't have Office 365 Business to test. I am not sure if it would make any difference.

I could reproduce scenario#2 in all my test machines. I suggest you submit a feedback or visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-my to create an incident about this issue. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Andrei Smolin Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I followed your steps but failed to reproduce the issue. I test on Excel 2016 Version 1705 8201.2193 64bit and Version 1707 Build 8326.2096 64bit.

From your screenshot, it seems that you open two workbooks, so it shows the workbook name before macro. I also test with two workbooks and still fail to reproduce.

Is the macro in "ThisWorkbook" module or standard module? Do you test with non-empty macro? Could you run the macro in VBE? What would happen if you click Create button? 

Could you please create a simple project and share it here?

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:31 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

Thank you for looking into this issue.

I create an empty macro right in ThisWorkbook, not in a standard module. The macro itself is okay; I can tun it with no issues. Clicking Create isn't what we are after. This is sort of a test system and we need to execute the macro but the Macro dialog doesn't let us do this.

I open a single workbook; this is why I double-click the .XLSM. There's no Personal Macro workbook when we reproduce this issue.

It looks like the full macro name that the dialog shows is incorrect: seemingly, the "ThisWorkbook" part is missing.

Do you click the Ribbon button when testing the issue?

I'll be able to provide more details on Monday only.

Andrei Smolin

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hello,

I have clicked the ribbon button when testing. I also made a test using Version 1701 (Build 7766.2099).All the tests get the same result as shown.

All the test environments are new deployed and the Office is clean installation. There is no other add-in except this test one.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 18, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

Thank you very much! Could you please try to reproduce the issue using the add-in project at http://temp.add-in-express.com/support/ExcelAddIn8-MacroDialogIssue.zip?

Also, we've found a really simple way to reproduce the issue with the Macro dialog window. No add-ins are required. Create a new workbook, press Alt+F11, open the ThisWorkbook class and create an empty macro calling it AA11Q:

Sub AA11Q()

End Sub

Switch to the workbook window, open the Review tab, click the Smart Lookup button, then press Alt+F8. On our side, I see the issue reproducible in Excel 2016 32bit builds 8530.1000 (Insider Fast),  8326.2096 and in 8201.2171 (this one is ProPlus). I suggest that we further refer to this variant as scenario#2.

I feel that scenario#1 is a bit different as we can only reproduce it in Excel 64 bit.

Andrei Smolin

Monday, September 18, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hello,

I still failed to reproduce scenario#1 in Excel 64bit using your add-in or mine or new created one in new machines. Our test machines are using Office 365 ProPlus/Win10 64bit. We don't have Office 365 Business to test. I am not sure if it would make any difference.

I could reproduce scenario#2 in all my test machines. I suggest you submit a feedback or visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-my to create an incident about this issue. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andrei Smolin Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:23 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

Thank you very much for your help!I've finally sent a message to the Excel Team using File | Feedback | Send a frown. Hopefully, they will be able to reproduce and fix the issue(s).

Andrei Smolin

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:29 PM