none
MSDN Library international: Please switch off English overlays RRS feed

• Question

• Hello MSDN-Team,

I'm mainly using the German edition of MSDN Library. It's nice to get to see the English text version along with the localized text of a localized MSDN Library page.

However, the way the two language versions are presented on the same page is utterly confusing and annoying. These overlays popping up whenever the mouse cursor accidentally hovers over a paragraph very much interfere with the process of reading, particularly when the page is being scrolled using the keyboard while the mouse pointer just rests on the page. This is also true when the reader is about to set a temporary bookmark to a paragraph with the mouse pointer or when the reader wants to select and/or copy a few words from the text.

Often the translated texts are nonsense, because they got automatically translated, so it's still necessary to get to the English original versions quickly.

That's why I want to suggest an alternative to how MSDN Library should display localized content:

Instead of showing these disturbing overlay pop-ups, I'd like to suggest to add kind of a navigation bar to the left (or right) text page border (i.e. outside the actual text). When clicking (or, alternatively, hovering) this bar, the corresponding paragraph should temporarily display in English.

Current Visualization:

Suggested Visualization:

When the mouse pointer hovers above the yellow navigation bar on the left, (only) the corresponding paragraph will be shown in English:

In the following image I emphasized the important parts:

The suggested navigation bar may still provide an [≡] icon allowing the user to provide an improved translation to the corresponding paragraph.

RFC,

Axel Dahmen

Still people out there alive using the keyboard?

Working with SQL Server/Office and their poor keyboard support they seem extinct...

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:07 PM

All replies

• I just found an MSDN Library section at Uservoice and created a thread with corresponding title there, too.

If you like my proposal please give your vote there to endorse the idea.

Still people out there alive using the keyboard?

Working with SQL Server/Office and their poor keyboard support they seem extinct...

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:05 PM
  • I'm just pinging here to reach a broader audience and gain more votes for the idea, since it hasn't been implemented yet.
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 1:32 PM