none
Vs2015 hanging on linking C++ code after update 3

Question

• I downloaded update 3.   Since then, every time I compile C++ code, the compiler hangs at linking.

I need to go into sysinternals and kill the link step a few times.

Is there any patch available?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Does it hang in your specific project only, or even in case of simplest new projects?

Also note a new Servicing Update: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt752379.aspx.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 5:07 AM
  • downloaded the patch...i must have had that installed when I downloaded update 3.

Nevertheless, ran repair.  Still no joy.

In order to build, I need kill MSBuild in process explorer...something is locking.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:40 PM
  • well, one thing i discovered...during the build process, the compiler (CL) may leave a lock on the last obj file.

Removing the lock, or deleting the obj files, and restarting the build works.

Must be a race condition between the the compiler and the linker.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:41 PM
  • Hi Steven,

>>Removing the lock, or deleting the obj files, and restarting the build works.

Thanks for sharing your solution here, if so, would you please mark your reply as the answer? So it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:17 AM