none
RoboticsTutorial1 (unavailable) RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed RDS4 (Win7 x64), opened Visual Studio, and then attempted to open c:\program files (x86)\microsoft robotics dev studio 4\samples\roboticstutorials\tutorials1\csharp\roboticstutorials1.sln, in the Solution Explorer I get:

RoboticsTutorial1 (unavailable)

The project file was unloaded

I get this for all sln files in I try to load under samples.

Have also tried installing Visual Studio 2010 Express (C#) but get the same results.

MVPL project load fine - can also connect to my robot and run MVPL code

Any ideas?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:37 AM

Answers

• I've seen this problem before when the project needs to be upgraded and the user doesn't have permissions to write the project file.  Sounds like you're running into this.

I'd suggest either installing RDS in the user directory as it does by default (good), running VS and DSSHost under admin permissions at all times (bad), or changing the permissions of your \Program Files\RDS directory to allow user level writes (ugly).

DSS is makes writes into project relative paths, is very sensitive to relative path and permissions disruptions, and will fail in terribly interesting and hard to understand ways when something goes wrong here.  In this way, it is similar to Happy Fun Ball.  Do not taunt DSS by changing its installation directory.

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hmm, normally, by default, RDS is installed in your user directory, not the program files directory. EG: C:\Users\arthur\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\...

Is there a reason you installed it in the program files directory?

One thing you may try is running the DSS Project Migration Tool. This will attempt to update all project paths to match the current install directory: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb483018.aspx

Arthur

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:09 PM
  • I have a laptop which I use 2 logins, domain and local. Installing software in the user directory just seems a little, eh, odd.

I tried the migration tool using /b- option with the path to samples directory but got the same result.

Friday, August 31, 2012 12:52 AM
  • I've seen this problem before when the project needs to be upgraded and the user doesn't have permissions to write the project file.  Sounds like you're running into this.

I'd suggest either installing RDS in the user directory as it does by default (good), running VS and DSSHost under admin permissions at all times (bad), or changing the permissions of your \Program Files\RDS directory to allow user level writes (ugly).

DSS is makes writes into project relative paths, is very sensitive to relative path and permissions disruptions, and will fail in terribly interesting and hard to understand ways when something goes wrong here.  In this way, it is similar to Happy Fun Ball.  Do not taunt DSS by changing its installation directory.

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Someone should talk to the RDS product team about this. It goes against the grain to install a full copy of software on a machine for every user - it is just plain weird in a Windows world. I moved the samples to another directory (outside Program Files) and ran the migration tool but ran into same problem. RDS doesn't seem to behave like "Microsoft" software.
    Monday, September 3, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Feedback taken and understood.  In this case, it's common practice for applications which also deliver source code / sample code to place that code in the user directory for just this reason (write permissions to make changes to the code or project files).

Did the automatic upgrade of the project files by Visual Studio succeed or fail?  If it failed, there should be a conversion log.  Can you review that and see if you can figure out the cause of the error?

Monday, September 3, 2012 3:51 PM
  • The conversion didn't throw any errors but I still couldn't open the project. Couldn't find a log file - do you know where it gets written for dssprojectmigration.exe?

Yes, I'd typically store project or code files in a user directory or a project network drive (just not the software binaries etc).

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:33 AM
  • The Visual Studio conversion would generate an Upgrade-Log.xml in the same directory as the project file. Is there anything interesting in there?
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:58 PM
  • I cannot vouch for the behavior when it is not installed to the user directory.  I agree it is odd but that is the expected install path.  I don't know that running project migration will help.  You might be stuck with having to install to the user directory.

• Proposed as answer by Gershon Parent Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:11 AM