Assign "Created By" or "Logged In Person As" automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of a way to Automatically Assing the Name of the Person Creating the Request, which is the same as the Logged In User, automatically without the Person manually adding themself as the "Requester" from the People's AD Lookup?

Thank you for any info.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 14, 2011 7:07 PM NEVER try to attract attention to your posts by the use of exclamation marks in Titles. This time I've just removed it. Next time the whole post might go.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hello Polo,

Yes, using a SPD workflow follow these steps:

• set the workflow to start when created
    • create this condition - If "Created By" is not empty
    • create an Update List Item action to run on the current item
    • in the Update List Item action Add a value assignment and set the field "Requester" equal to the "Created by" value
    • Save and test

I hope that helps!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:56 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Hey Polo,

That could be the result of using a custom content type, so you may want to check that as well.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hello Polo,

Yes, using a SPD workflow follow these steps:

• set the workflow to start when created
    • create this condition - If "Created By" is not empty
    • create an Update List Item action to run on the current item
    • in the Update List Item action Add a value assignment and set the field "Requester" equal to the "Created by" value
    • Save and test

I hope that helps!

Tom

Monday, March 14, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Thank you Tom!

The funny thing is that I know there was a "Created By" field in this List, but it's gone!
    So, it won't let me use that field!

I think I will just re-create the List and see if the Created By is in there.

Thank you.

Monday, March 14, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hey Polo,

That could be the result of using a custom content type, so you may want to check that as well.

Thanks!

Tom

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:34 PM