DLL cannot be found after install: System.IO.FileNotFoundException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a project that runs fine debugging on the development computer, I then use Visual Studio Installer to make an installation file which runs fine. But when I go to run the program after installing on a different computer I get the error: System.IO.FileNotFoundException Could not load file or assembly speechclient.dll the specified module could not be found.

I checked the install folder and the dll is in there. What could I be missing?

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:43 PM

Answers

• There are any number of reasons for this, none of which are related to setup because you say the file is actually there. For example, your client program might require a specific version of the assembly with required assembly version and strong name. Or that assembly might be there but it has a dependency you did not install. The Fusion Log Viewer is the tool used to debug these issues.

Phil Wilson

Monday, November 14, 2016 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi T3rr0rByte13-Hobbyware.org,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is relating to the VS installer development. Since our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor, I will help you move it to the appropriate forum: Windows Forms >ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects for dedicated information, you will get a more professional support from there, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 14, 2016 6:03 AM
  • There are any number of reasons for this, none of which are related to setup because you say the file is actually there. For example, your client program might require a specific version of the assembly with required assembly version and strong name. Or that assembly might be there but it has a dependency you did not install. The Fusion Log Viewer is the tool used to debug these issues.

Phil Wilson

Monday, November 14, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

Try to use following command prompt to unregister this DLL. (Start a Command Prompt as an Administrator)

regsvr32 /u xxxxx.dll

Best Regards,

Bob

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:12 AM
  • Thanks Phil, you were correct, I had the wrong version of the DLL.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 3:59 PM