none
Provider for Progress RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use EntityFramework Code First, in a total different database called Progress OpenEdge. Currently I'm able to run queries in this database accessing by ODBC, however I have to write down the queries (SELECT .... FROM ...) and use DbCommand DbConnection to run those queries. I want to write LINQ queries, not SQL queries. :D

I know that to use EntityFramework, it's necessary to have a provider, right? Well, I bet there's no provider for that database, cuz it isn't that famous. So, I want to build one.

Is there an article or something to start with? Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Joberto,

Good news, there is a company called OpenLink that has a provider for OpenEdge, using their Virtuoso provider.

http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/vdbenginepr.html

Maybe this will work for you without having to write something of your own which could take a lot of time.

Tom Overton
    • Marked as answer by Joba Diniz Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:55 PM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hello Joba,

I know this is an old post but there is not a lot of information about OpenEdge with .NET.

I am about to start a project with OpenEdge and .NET .

I would like to use Linq, could you please post a follow-up?

Thank you,

Have a great day!

Sebastien

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Hi, this is so old that I don't even work for the company that was using OpenEdge anymore.

Well, we didn't even test the Virtuoso library because it do not support nullable primary key. The company had more than 300 tables, and change all of them just to support Virtuoso was out of the question.

"The Visual Studio 2008 Entity Data Model (EDM) requires that all primary keys are NOT Nullable, and will fail to generate an EDM if any are nullable. Thus ensure any tables to be used are defined as not nullable in the Progress database schema before attempting to generate an EDM.

It seems that, by default, several Primary Keys (PKs) in the isports database allows <NULL> values. It seems somewhat nonsensical - that a unique key used, specifically, to identify a row in a table can be allowed to be <NULL>.

This issue is best addressed directly in the database schema, by redefining those PKs that allow <NULL> so as not to allow <NULL>. Progress does not seem to talk in terms of <NULL>, instead using the term "Mandatory""

Progress is old, and it is indeed nonsencial that such "database" allows nullable primary key. But that's how the entire system was built (started 22 years ago).

Also, Virtuoso needs some infrastructure to work (Virtuoso Universal Server), and that was also an issue.

Best regards and good luck!

Take a look at WPF FlashMessage
    About.me

Monday, September 23, 2013 7:15 PM