Visual C++ 6.0 freezes on build RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm learning C (NOT C++) and trying to use Visual Studio C++ 6.0.  It's going pretty well but VS keeps Freezing and/or shutting itself down.  

When I want to run a program I've written, I go to Build --> Compile, then Build --> Build, then i hit CTRL-F5 to actually make it run and have the console window pop up for me to access.  However, if I accidentally choose Build instead of Compile (they're close together on the Build menu) the VS freezes and I cannot do anything.  In the Build window at the bottom of the screen it says...

Compiling...<br/>
    <br/>
    main.c<br/>
    <br/>
    Linking...

But that's all it does... it never actually finishes building nor does it allow me to Stop Build from the Build menu.  I cannot close the program... i get a warning:

"You cannot close the workspace while a build is in progress.  Select the Stop Build command before closing the workspace."

But, as I've said, Stop Build doesn't work... I can select it but then nothing happens.  So the only way for me to get out of this is to utilize the Task Manager.  I hate to do it... but I want to continue practicing my programs... I don't have time to sit here all day waiting for this to build a TINY little program.  I've been waiting on this last one for about 20 min now... ridiculous!

Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing... so I'm looking for any kind of insight into this issue..

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:48 PM

Answers

• I have used VC6.0 for many years, and it does have freeze problems.  One advice is to update to the latest service pack (SP6).  It helps a lot. 

A few guidelines I have learned the hard way:
    1. Do not build simultaneously in multiple instances.
    2. Do not run any other instance while one is building silently.
    3. Do not start VS/VC by double-clicking .dsw files. 

I have seen the situation you describe also, and the only way I know off to get out of it is to kill the linker or the compiler, sometimes MSDEV itself.  Again, the Service Pack *almost* eliminates the issue, though.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, August 6, 2010 1:36 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, I suggest you try to use Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Studio 2010. Visual Studio 6 has run out of support for years.

Then, please check your operation system, if you use Windows Vista or Windows7, try to run Visual Studio 6.0 as Administrator(right click on Visual studio6.0, click "Run as administrator").

If you still have any doubts and concerns about this issue, please let me know.

Regards!

Jesse Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:31 AM
  • I have used VC6.0 for many years, and it does have freeze problems.  One advice is to update to the latest service pack (SP6).  It helps a lot. 

A few guidelines I have learned the hard way:
    1. Do not build simultaneously in multiple instances.
    2. Do not run any other instance while one is building silently.
    3. Do not start VS/VC by double-clicking .dsw files. 

I have seen the situation you describe also, and the only way I know off to get out of it is to kill the linker or the compiler, sometimes MSDEV itself.  Again, the Service Pack *almost* eliminates the issue, though.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Friday, August 6, 2010 1:36 AM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:09 PM