Expression Blend 3 Crashes on Startup RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Expression 3 (installed from disc not downloaded) in Windows XP through parallels on my Mac. When I attempt to open Blend it crashes and gives the following message: Expression Blend has experienced an unrecoverable internal error and must close

-error signature-
    EventType : clr20r3     P1 : blend.exe     P2 : 3.0.1927.0     P3 : 4a5d4331
    P4 : microsoft.expression.blend     P5 : 3.0.1927.0     P6 : 4a5d432c    
    P7 : 2a     P8 : c9     P9 : system.nullreferenceexception    

I have installed all of the updates for Windows XP and the .NET framework 3.5 that it requested upon installation.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,
          This might be a setup issue but it is quite tough to say anything till we see the exception details. Can you please send us the dump for the crash and we will investigate this at our end. You can create a dump file from the process, please follow these steps:

1. Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc)
    2. Open Blend and repro your crash
    3. On crash right click on Blend.exe in Task Manager and select "Create Dump File"

Save this dump file and send it to navits at microsoft dot com and we will look into it. Thanks once again for helping us investigate this issue.

Thanks,
    Navit Saxena
    Friday, October 23, 2009 8:38 AM
  • I tried to get a dump file for you, but Blend 3 crashes before it shows up in the Task Manager. I tried to remove Blend 3 for a reinstall, and got this error message:

Exception has been thrown  by the target of an invocation. Cannot find DependencyProperty or PropertyInfo for property named 'Effect". Property name Ssensitive. Error at object 'LayoutRoot' in markup file 'XSetupUI;component/initializationwindow.saml'.

Thanks,

-Nate
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Hi,  
          In this case can you send us the exception log? You can get exception log by running Blend from command prompt with /exceptionlog flag.

Send it to navits at microsoft dot com and we will investigate it.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:41 PM