if (a == b)
    {
        do c;
    }

Any links or best practices?

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 5:50 PM

Answers

• User409696431 posted

In addition to what you mention, studies have shown that including the braces improves/speeds up reading and understanding the code.  And, obvioiusly, not putting in the braces opens a door to introduce a bug with a quick update to the if when adding another line to execute.

if( true )
        doSomething();

Updated to

if( true )
        doSomething();
        doAnotherthing();

WHOOPS!

I like consistency.  "Here's an if statement", not "Here's an if statement of type one-line, and here's an if statement of type not-one-line".

You can see that https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/programming-guide/inside-a-program/coding-conventions does not mention the option to leave off the braces, so I would take it as implicit that when they show the layout with braces, they are recommending they always be used.

However, at the end of the day, it's just a convention, and you and your fellow coders can pick whichever you use - but be consistent if you ever expect to read or modify each other's code.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:40 PM
  • User475983607 posted

More readable, less prone to thinking the 3rd line goes in the if.  To name a few.  Hoping there is more.  I was taught to do it the way I have been doing it.  But it's been years so I don't remember why I was told to do that.

Explain that you your team as well as Kathy's input.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 8:01 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

What is your case? 

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 6:28 PM
  • User113730038 posted

More readable, less prone to thinking the 3rd line goes in the if.  To name a few.  Hoping there is more.  I was taught to do it the way I have been doing it.  But it's been years so I don't remember why I was told to do that.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:06 PM
  • User409696431 posted

In addition to what you mention, studies have shown that including the braces improves/speeds up reading and understanding the code.  And, obvioiusly, not putting in the braces opens a door to introduce a bug with a quick update to the if when adding another line to execute.

if( true )
        doSomething();

Updated to

if( true )
        doSomething();
        doAnotherthing();

WHOOPS!

I like consistency.  "Here's an if statement", not "Here's an if statement of type one-line, and here's an if statement of type not-one-line".

You can see that https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/programming-guide/inside-a-program/coding-conventions does not mention the option to leave off the braces, so I would take it as implicit that when they show the layout with braces, they are recommending they always be used.

However, at the end of the day, it's just a convention, and you and your fellow coders can pick whichever you use - but be consistent if you ever expect to read or modify each other's code.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 7:40 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Explain that you your team as well as Kathy's input.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 8:01 PM
  • User113730038 posted

Thanks! Just what I was looking for!

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 8:04 PM