read excel file in asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• i developed web application using "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" to read the excel file, it's good on windows server 2003 (32-bit), but when i deployed it to another 2003 server for 64-bit, got an error message below:

The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine.

i searched the internet and got the result the Jet.OLEDB.4.0 is not supported 64-bit system, some guys said that run it in 32-bit mode, i did as this, and it success, but another applications can not work, like share point, so i need to turn it back.

anybody can tell me is there any method read excel file except Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0?

VSTO  can do it?

thanks. 

Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:43 PM

Answers

• Hi ssisgb

No, VSTO doesn't provide anything for asp.net. It's a technology that runs in-process with a hosting Office application and mainly extends the Office UI.

Most likely, you'll need to open the Excel file in a newer version of Excel (2007 or 2010) and save it to the xlsx (OpenXML) file format. Then you can use the new ACE OLEDB driver, which should work on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

But check out the information on this page: http://www.connectionstrings.com/excel#p84

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Li Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, October 1, 2010 9:41 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi ssisgb

No, VSTO doesn't provide anything for asp.net. It's a technology that runs in-process with a hosting Office application and mainly extends the Office UI.

Most likely, you'll need to open the Excel file in a newer version of Excel (2007 or 2010) and save it to the xlsx (OpenXML) file format. Then you can use the new ACE OLEDB driver, which should work on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

But check out the information on this page: http://www.connectionstrings.com/excel#p84

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Li Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, October 1, 2010 9:41 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Hi ssisgb,

How is this issue going on in your side? Have you solved the problem?

Best Regards,
    Amy Li
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:54 AM