none
Saving test runs in mid-execution of test case RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Right now, I can't save the current test during manual execution. I can see this as a problem once I develop fairly large tests that will have parameterized data. If a test requires a few hours to run, plus there are then several iterations based upon the parameterized data, it would be convenient to save the test run state at some point other than at the very end. Perhaps there can be an additional tag besides Passed or Failed, such as In Progress, which I can set so I can save the current test run at any point. I can think of several scenarios where testers will need to save an incomplete test run, such as to go to lunch, go home at night, have an emergency realease of a different build, etc.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hello,

We've made the change, and you will be able to save at any point during your testing in the RTM version. You won't have to wait until hitting 'End test case'.

Thanks for your feedback,
    David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] Team Test
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Hi Byron,

I think I understand your concern now. I am sorry to say that we do not support caching of test run in a given state, close MTLM, and then resume it later on that machine or some other machine. I can submit a request on this but cannot guarantee that this will be done for RTM. I will also talk to David and get ourselves in synch.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
    Pradeep
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hello,

We've made the change, and you will be able to save at any point during your testing in the RTM version. You won't have to wait until hitting 'End test case'.

Thanks for your feedback,
    David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] Team Test
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to know your need here in more detail. What you want to accomplish is, save part of your test execution, close Test Runner and MTLM, test on a different build (perhaps on same machine using the same MTLM) and resume testing on the what was previously saved before. If this is your scenario, we do not support this. Basically once you close Test Runner, the test run is considered to be completed. From your post, I presume this is your need. If you want to pause your session, go for lunch or go home at night, you can still accomplish this. Pause the current test execution and keep the Test Runner session open.

Please let me know if my understanding is proper.

Thanks and Regards,
    Pradeep

Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Hi Pradeep,
    Sorry to have taken such a long time to respond.

Perhaps I am missing a crucial observation on my part. (I see that David posted previously that my concern is being addressed on the RTM.) If I need to suspend testing for any reason, other than to complete the actvity, is the current test run being cached so I can work on it at a later time? Or is the current session just on the machine that I am working from?

The solution of keeping a computer up and running until the completion of test case exectution may not be ideal at all times. In my case, I use a laptop for all my computing needs. My laptop is always with me, especially when I leave the office for the evening. Other times, I may be onsite at a client location and leaving my laptop up and running overnight can be an even bigger issue.

Although I think David supplied a reasonable answer, I want to make sure that you understand my concerns...

Thanks
    Byron
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Hi Byron,

I think I understand your concern now. I am sorry to say that we do not support caching of test run in a given state, close MTLM, and then resume it later on that machine or some other machine. I can submit a request on this but cannot guarantee that this will be done for RTM. I will also talk to David and get ourselves in synch.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
    Pradeep
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Hi everybody!

I am doing somewhat of a "poke" on this thread because I see this as a big problem in MTLM.

Have I understood it correctly; I can't runt a test in Test Runner, pause it, do other stuff in MTLM and then go back to the test run again and resume the execution? I have found the "Pause" button in Test Runner but I don't quite get the idea with that - all it does is stop the clock as far as I can see. If I click "Pause" followed by the button "Return to the Testing Center" (because I would like to look at another test case or something) it seems as I can't return to Test Runner or the test case execution and resume my test run anymore. 

So... as stated earlier in this thread; I think I epask for many when I say that we sould like a "Pause" function that makes it possible to resume a test case exectution at any time by prefferably clicking on the test run and select "Resume".

Best regards,

Gustav Olsson  

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:18 AM
  •  it seems as I can't return to Test Runner or the test case execution and resume my test run anymore.

Actually it is possible, there is a tiny icon near the save buttons during test run that returns to testing center and leaves the run in progress.

Once back in the testing center there is an even smaller icon near the new/open items to return to run.

as long as you dont close MTM, it will stay in progress.

Hope it helps

Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:30 AM