Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Execution environment: Windows XP

browser: IE 7

IDE: Visual web developer

CodeBase: Microsoft silverlight framework.

I'm playing video's in silverlight framework which uses SMF player . If the video playing screen let idle for some time, say 3 hours(even a day) the execution ends with blank white screen and app getting crashed with unhandled exception. stack trace is not available, and the exception message is "Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

Please help me to resolve the issue

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• If the player is not running the issue is not reproducing in silverlight framework.

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to close all windows at first.  Then clean and rebuild Visual Studio and open it again. At last, please the similar thread below:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/silverlightinstall/thread/06f3249e-22af-4c2a-be35-1fff50899d9e//1

If it doesn't work, try to provide details.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:33 AM
  • OK. I'll reuse this topic.

Just what the man said, except that we're using the Microsoft's SMFPlayer in our own application. Just playing back video; no user interaction at all... no keystrokes, no clicks, nothing.

At about an hour in, the code hits Application_UnhandledException in App.xaml.cs. Very short call stack:

FoxVuPlayer!FoxVuPlayer.App.Application_UnhandledException(object sender, System.Windows.ApplicationUnhandledExceptionEventArgs e) Line 36

System.Windows.dll!MS.Internal.Error.CallApplicationUEHandler(System.Exception e) + 0x4d bytes

System.Windows.dll!MS.Internal.Error.CallAUEHandler(uint ht, out uint bIsHandled) + 0x14 bytes

[Appdomain Transition]

Sometimes it's a little longer than an hour; it doesn't correspond to an exact time.

If I set a breakpoint in there, and manually update the e.Handled field to "true" I can get the SMFPlayer to continue playing the movie; however, the thumb (slider) the download progress and other visual indicators stop updating. It appears the file keeps playing and downloading despite the thumb track not moving nor the download progress track.

The issue isn't download, though, because this error happens intermittently... sometimes after the media file is fully downloaded to the client, sometimes before.

I would just like a strategy for debugging these types of Exceptions and finding what might be the root cause of them... if there's maybe a tool out there (even 3rd party) that could give me better visibility into what might be wrong (in either XAML or code).

Thanks,

Chad Lehman

PB Systems

Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:06 PM