none
Taking down windows 8 app

Question

• What is the process for taking down an Windows 8 application ?

I was thinking about creating a feature that will pop up a screen that tells people the app is shutting down and maybe redirect them to a kink.

Or what other alternatives could be allowed in this case?

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:48 AM

All replies

• What is the process for taking down an Windows 8 application ?

I was thinking about creating a feature that will pop up a screen that tells people the app is shutting down and maybe redirect them to a kink.

Or what other alternatives could be allowed in this case?

Redirect them to a kink?:-)

Anyway, in general, I think you submit a new release but remove all markets from the app (that is - countries).  You don't have to change the binary. 

You CANNOT realistically take it off other people's computers if they already purchased or downloaded the app, once they own it they own it, and they're not going to let an update through that DOESN'T WORK or removes important features.

-Rob

-Rob

Monday, May 12, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Sorry i was not very clear.

What i want is to stop support for a windows 8 app and let user know that the app is shutting down and they can still visit the site(as this application is also for web). This would be for  keep the users close.

What i am not sure of this kind of update is allowed? I mean providing  a blockade screen after the application launches which blocks the app functionality and let them know we are not supporting anymore the app and some links to the app web version.Not taking it off from the people devices.

We did similar functionality for some android applications.

From your answer i understand that this type of implementation would not be allowed.

• Edited by Adrian1990 Monday, May 12, 2014 3:05 PM
    Monday, May 12, 2014 3:01 PM
  • You can use a WebView for most of your app, and avoid breaking the experience for people who already have it. No takedown or warning needed.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:06 PM