Mobile Broadband MBAE access to device services`

Question

• Am I right in thinking that the SMS service on the MBIM interface is the only one that can be used from a non-privileged application?

I have an app, and an associated device metadata that matches my SIM card and can indeed access all of the device services that I have available on the modem. 

It seems that the Sms set of classes (as opposed to the Mobile Operators set of classes) provide non-privileged access to the SMS service, but apart from that the Network Operators is the only other way of accessing the modem services.  It seems that you cannot get the first Interface without enumerating the available interface IDs.  The list that this returns is filtered on the app being a privileged app according to the matching device metadata.

Therefore, it seems that the, for instance, I cannot access the SMS Phonebook service from a non-privileged app.  Is this correct?

Friday, June 29, 2012 4:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• DJPN,

Only mobile broadband operators can access SMS.  I am looking into this for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:08 AM
  • The SMS namespace is called Windows.Devices.Sms.

I have now seen that the main page for this namespace has the following comment:

Note  This functionality is only available to mobile operator apps and Metro style apps given privileged access by mobile network operators. For more information, see Mobile Broadband: Metro style Device Apps.

I don't understand why the two APIs are separate, and why there is an independent persmission for the SMS application if the SMS application needs to be listed in the mobile operator's device metadata.   It seems that unless SMS is meant to be able to be used without an explicit mention in the metadata, then why not roll the permission into the standard mobile broadband operator interface permission.

I'm guessing then, that the Windows.Devices.Sms is implemented on top of the mobile operator API. Therefore no application could access any MBIM device service based functionality of the modem without being in the metadata privileged application list?

Monday, July 2, 2012 9:56 AM
  • DJPN,

You are correct.  Only mobile broadband operators can access SMS.

Best Wishes - Eric

Monday, July 2, 2012 5:12 PM