How do I set a Consolidated Member as a Domain based attribute of another Enitity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, maybe someone can give me a best practice here..

I have the need to set a consolidated member of one entity as an attribute of another.  Here is the scenario, I have an Geography (GEO) entity which is hierarchial in nature.  The end user need to customize the hierarchy on a monthly basis (i.e. split South America into S. America and Central America and back or other divisions).  They also need to declare any/all nodes in the hierarchy to an Account for reporting needs, i.e. South America + Online Services  and South America + In Store services may be compared.  (actual scenarios are far more complex) So I have the concept of a third entity "Report Combo" which takes GEO and Account as the domain based attributes.  Unfortunately I can not set consolidated members as entries on Report Combo"....does anybody have a suggestion?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Obiwanken,

We've also encountered this type of problem before.  Try the following steps to see if that resolves the issue:
    - Create a new Geography entity that does NOT contain a hierarchy.
    - Add a domain-based attribute called 'Parent Geography code' to the entity.  The entity that it's based on, will be itself (ie. geography).
    - In your Account entity add a domain based attribute as normal that refers to the Geography entity.

When you open in Explorer and have added some members, you'll see that all the geography values are available to select at the Account entity.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:19 PM