thin and rich apps

Question

• Hi,
    i´m starting with .net compact framework and i would like to understand a few things better.
    for what i read, there are rich and thin apps.

in thin apps, the main goal is to design a web mobile page to access from the mobile device.
    in rich apps, the main goal is to make a app than runs on the device itself.

so far so good, i guess. :)

i also read about asp .net mobile controls and smart device programmability.
    this is what i couldn´t understand quite well. are the asp .net mobile controls to make thin clients and the smart device programmability to make the rich clients.

when creating a new project in VStudio 2005 i only see the option Smart Device Application. This template is for rich clients, right?
    What about thin clients? What kind of project do i create? Is there any specific toolbox controls for these developments?

I´d appreciate an answer.

Thanks in advance.
    SP
    Friday, November 10, 2006 9:55 AM

Answers

• Your questions were answered and the answer is: you're asking in a wrong place.

Of course it's not satisfactory, just like an attempt to get a breakfast at, say, dry cleaning would be.

The point was to redirect you to the right place and that was accomplished.

Normally I would’ve moved your post to the correct form but ASP.Net forums are separate so I have close your thread as off topic.

If you have any questions related to smart device development (which is for applications running on devices as I explained above), you’re welcome to create new threads as needed.

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:59 PM

All replies

• thin clients aren't necessarily browsers on top of web apps. thin clients are any client application where the majority of processing and data storage occurs remotely, on the host. a thick, or "rich", client, typically stores data locally and has little or no dependence on a remote host, beyond perhaps the occasional data sync. "smart clients" are a mix of the two -- typically they can run independently of the remote host, but they're probably intended to be in relatively close or regular communication with the host.

you can build thin clients without asp.net controls. you can also build rich clients with asp.net controls. the controls aren't the issue, it's how you divide the workload, where you place your resources, and how you access them that define your app as being thin, thick or smart.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:13 PM
  • Ok.
    But in VS2003 there were 2 options: SmartDeviceApp and Mobile Application.
    In the help of VS2005 i found a walkthrough and it says to open a project of type Mobile Web Application. And i don´t see it.

In this article, http://www.codeproject.com/ce/Pocket_PC_Development.asp, there is a clear distinction between Smart Device Programmability and ASP.NET Mobile Controls. And after reading it i thought there were two different projects depending on what i wanted.

ASP.NET Mobile Controls are really just controls for mobile development or is it something else (package for instance) one has to install?

i´d appreciate some clarification on this matter:)

Thanks
    SP

Friday, November 10, 2006 3:13 PM
  •  SaraPaiva wrote:
    Ok.
    But in VS2003 there were 2 options: SmartDeviceApp and Mobile Application.
    In the help of VS2005 i found a walkthrough and it says to open a project of type Mobile Web Application. And i don´t see it.

In this article, http://www.codeproject.com/ce/Pocket_PC_Development.asp, there is a clear distinction between Smart Device Programmability and ASP.NET Mobile Controls. And after reading it i thought there were two different projects depending on what i wanted.

ASP.NET Mobile Controls are really just controls for mobile development or is it something else (package for instance) one has to install?

i´d appreciate some clarification on this matter:)

Thanks
    SP

asp.net mobile controls are for use, I believe, on the server side, designed to deliver content to a mobile device. they're not controls for use ON the mobile device. you would either use your mobile device's browser, or a browser object, to access the asp.net mobile controls on the server.

Friday, November 10, 2006 3:31 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

But i still didn´t understand what kind of projects i can create?
    Always a smart device app?

If i want to build a web app with all processing on the server, how should i proceed in VS2005? The help refers to the Mobile Web App and i can´t find it.

If there´s any document on this or url, please advise.

Any comment on smart device programmability versus asp .net mobile controls?

Thanks
    SP
    Friday, November 10, 2006 3:59 PM
  • This forum is for smart device programmability (application runs on device). ASP.Net forums is for server side applications including applications rendered on mobile devices (not just smart devices). You see, ASP.Net does not really care what is used for rendering - feature phone, smart phone, PC, MAC - looks different, works the same on the server. So if you're looking for help on ASP.Net please use ASP.Net forums as it’s off topic in this one.

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:00 PM
  • Ok. I´m sorry for placing the question in the wrong place.

Still, i think my question has something to do with smart device development.

None of my questions were answered, even when i asked the true meaning of smart device programmability, which i think is the main goal of this forum.

Perhaps my question was not well formulated, but i would like to demonstrate my insatisfaction with the responses given to my problem, that helped me in absolutely nothing.

Thank you for your time,
    SP
    Friday, November 10, 2006 6:26 PM
  • Your questions were answered and the answer is: you're asking in a wrong place.

Of course it's not satisfactory, just like an attempt to get a breakfast at, say, dry cleaning would be.

The point was to redirect you to the right place and that was accomplished.

Normally I would’ve moved your post to the correct form but ASP.Net forums are separate so I have close your thread as off topic.

If you have any questions related to smart device development (which is for applications running on devices as I explained above), you’re welcome to create new threads as needed.

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:59 PM