none
Turning Off IPv6 auto configuration in virtual ethernet miniport driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing one virtual ethernet miniport driver. So I need to turn off IPv6 auto configuration in my virtual ethernet miniport driver. Can anybody suggest me how to do this ?

Thank you

Mrutyunjaya

Monday, January 28, 2013 12:27 PM

Answers

• The "Autoconfiguration Enabled" line will always print "Yes" on a modern version of Windows.  Literally—the ipconfig.exe tool just hardcodes that string to "Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . : Yes".  (Windows XP was the last OS that had a knob that allowed you to disable autoconfiguration.)

However, you can get something similar to disabling autoconfiguration by calling SetIpInterfaceEntry with LinkLocalAddressBehavior := LinkLocalAlwaysOff.

I don't think there's any keyword you can put in the INF to toggle this behavior, since it's rather unusual to not want autoconfiguration.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:04 PM

All replies

• What OS?  Are you setting EnableDhcp=0 in the INF?
    Monday, January 28, 2013 10:49 PM
  • OS : Windws 7, Yes I am setting  EnableDhcp=0 in the INF
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Do you mean IPv6 link-local address starting with fe80:: and mandated by RFC4862? What is the problem in virtual miniport driver with such addresses?

BR, Antti

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Conne
    n
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-AC-6F-3C-F9-54
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dc49:92ec:9400:86f7%14(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.212.14.140(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 January 2013 16:19:12
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 February 2013 16:19:12
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.212.14.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.212.14.1

No, I am talking about Autoconfiguration Enabled. I want to set it to "No" by default.

BR, Mrutyunjaya

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:08 AM
  • The "Autoconfiguration Enabled" line will always print "Yes" on a modern version of Windows.  Literally—the ipconfig.exe tool just hardcodes that string to "Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . : Yes".  (Windows XP was the last OS that had a knob that allowed you to disable autoconfiguration.)

However, you can get something similar to disabling autoconfiguration by calling SetIpInterfaceEntry with LinkLocalAddressBehavior := LinkLocalAlwaysOff.

I don't think there's any keyword you can put in the INF to toggle this behavior, since it's rather unusual to not want autoconfiguration.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:04 PM