Mapping a drive to external storage RRS feed

• Question

• Excuse me if this is the wrong section, but I have a question which can be put in different sections.

Some info. We use Citrix for the moment. So the user has a client on his desktop and in his Citrix session he has his mapped drives.

Goal: We want to have "local" drives on his local desktop which are connected to the cloud. We know that there is also a function for this in Citrix but you still need some Citrix licenses for this. We want to do it in another manner. So that the user has a "local" drive which is connecting to a share in the cloud. The cloud could be an Azure place or our place (we also have a cloud infrastructure).

So the question is: which possibilities are available to accomplish this? Probably Azure is one possibility (but what's needed at least?) and is there a possibility to accomplish this if we are the cloud (so not Azure the cloud, but we the cloud via Azure the cloud (a detour)?)

Thanks in advance and if more info needed I will add some.

Kind regards

Kurt

Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:49 PM

All replies

• If your intention is to create drive mappings (via SMB) to file shares hosted in Azure, then there are two methods to accomplish this:

- map a drive to a share hosted on an Azure VM running Windows OS. This would work the same way as mapping to a file share on a Windows Server on-premises, as long as you have either site-to-site or ExpressRoute connectivity to the virtual network hosting that Azure VM

- map a drive to an Azure Storage File Service. More info at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/files/storage-files-introduction

hth
    Marcin

• Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:02 AM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:34 PM
  • Well it would be nice if we could create such a situation (SMB share) to our own cloud. So the servers not hosted with Azure. Is it possible that there is an Azure service which gives this possibility to use a SMB share through Azure but in fact connects to our cloud? I think we will Always need Azure in some manner.

Your second option hasinteresting things. But what do I need for Azure files? Do I need an azure AD, Azure FS, ... or just a service Azure File and connect this to my on-premise servers?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:26 PM
  • To implement Azure Files, you do not need to authenticate to Azure AD. You authenticate by using the name of the Azure Storage account hosting the share and one of two unique keys associated with that storage account

hth
    Marcin

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:56 PM