none
VS2008 takes too long to deploy application to CE7 target RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

VS 2005 takes ~1 minute to deploy my application of 37MB in size to a target running CE6 through USB ActiveSync while Visual Studio 2008 takes ~15min to deploy a similar application to target running CE7.  Has anyone encountered this issue?  If you can, would you please give me some suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks -

Luan Le

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:59 AM

All replies

• Any antivirus is installed with the PC with VS2008 ?

Is the behavior same tested with different development PC ?

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Are you re-deploying the .NET CF each time?

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Hello Misbah and Bruce,

Definitely it is not a virus issue since it behaves the same ways with 4 of us in our team.  I also found out that it is not just deploying the application from VS2008 through USB ActiveSync taking too long, copying this app from a Windows 7 PC to the CE7 target through the file system also takes the same long time.  However, copying the same app from a Windows XP to the target takes less than a minute.  I think it is reasonable to say that the problem is not VS2008 or CE7 but it has something to do with copying from Windows 7.  Do you agree or see some other causes?

Bruce, I am not sure if .NET CF is deployed each time.  When I make some changes in the application, I have cecopy.exe in the postbuild stage copy the app to the target and it takes much longer that I was used to with VS2005 on XP and CE6 on the device.  It makes no difference if I takes out cecopy.exe from the postbuild and let VS2008 deploy the build to the target.

I am sure that you have used VS2008 running on Windows 7.  How do you deploy your application and how long does it take?  Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me.

Thanks - 

Luan Le

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:11 AM
  • I said Antivirus software installed on your Windows 7 PC is creating the difference. This is my suspect ion.

Have you tried with RNDIS ? Can you try it, just to make sure this is Active sync transfer issue.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Hi Misbah,

I said ActiveSync but I meant "Windows Mobile Device Center" since I am using Windows 7 PC for development.  I am actually using RNDIS over USB to connect between WMDC and my device.

Today I talked to my IT guy about your suspicion about the Antivirus software on the development PC causing the slow download.  He said he could not stop using the Antivirus software but he did try to stop some virus protection programs running on my PC.  However, that does not make any difference in the download speed.

Please advise if you think of some other ideas.

Thanks -

Luan Le

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:07 AM
  • I had a problem with deploy, but I realized that it had more to do with building when I was deploying.  There is an issue with the .suo file and PlatformVerification in VS2008.  This fix below worked like magic for me!

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3933749/vs-2008-professional-smart-device-net-c-sharp-project-slow-build

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:34 PM