none
Office 2012/15 preview download? RRS feed

• Question

• We're about to launch Outlook 2010 Add-In and were very keen to see what will be included in the next Office release since this may affect our current development strategy.

• Is there a preview/beta download?
    • Integration with Windows 8/Metro?
    • Social media integration?
    • Roadmap?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi "Southbranch"

I'm fairly confident there will be an "Office as we know" coming along. There's so much code running, in Excel especially, but also Word and PowerPoint that I can hardly imagine them being dropped.

On the unofficial side, I attended a conference (MS hosted) in October 2010 about "the Cloud". Office 365 wasn't in beta, at the time, so Office wasn't a primary topic. But the way the discussion was going, there was "writing on the wall". During the Q&A part I asked about the future of Office and got the reply (from someone relatively high up in the hierarchy, I take it - it wasn't the presenter) that MS fully appreciates the need to work "offline" and intend to continue to support that scenario for the "foreseeable future". The desktop apps we all know and love will be around for at least another version.

So, I'm pretty sure something's in the pipeline...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Southbranch Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:33 PM

All replies

• there is absolutely no information about the next version of Office available. Nada. Nothing.

Some colleagues of mine were hoping there's be something at the Build conference last week and were very disappointed that there was nothing forthcoming.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

This seems a bit odd.. But I really appreciate your info.

On the net there are some gossip referring to a "Office 2012/Office 15" to be launched next year. But as you said, nothing at all from MS to confirm.

I almost start asking myself whether there will be a next Office at all? Maybe we're expected to always be online using Office365 in the future..?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Hi "Southbranch"

I'm fairly confident there will be an "Office as we know" coming along. There's so much code running, in Excel especially, but also Word and PowerPoint that I can hardly imagine them being dropped.

On the unofficial side, I attended a conference (MS hosted) in October 2010 about "the Cloud". Office 365 wasn't in beta, at the time, so Office wasn't a primary topic. But the way the discussion was going, there was "writing on the wall". During the Q&A part I asked about the future of Office and got the reply (from someone relatively high up in the hierarchy, I take it - it wasn't the presenter) that MS fully appreciates the need to work "offline" and intend to continue to support that scenario for the "foreseeable future". The desktop apps we all know and love will be around for at least another version.

So, I'm pretty sure something's in the pipeline...

• Marked as answer by Southbranch Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:33 PM
  • Hi again,

Are there any updates/news on this subject yet? Perhaps someone in Redmond we could contact? 

Our decisions around our project are beginning to become a bit crucial..

Many thanks in advance

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi again,

Are there any updates/news on this subject yet? Perhaps someone in Redmond we could contact? 

Our decisions around our project are beginning to become a bit crucial..

Many thanks in advance

No, nothing, yet and I know of no one you can contact.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:37 PM
  • For what it is worth, there is this article on wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2012#Microsoft_Windows_versions

So, for the information there, how many levels do they go through before they put out the "finished" product?  Thanks.  Amazon has a good buy on office home and student, but if 2012 is just around the corner, why bother right?

Friday, November 25, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Thanks, yes I have seen this... But is still just some "gossip" since nothing from Microsoft seems to be confirmed.

But thanks anyway!

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:55 PM