Unittest projects in VS2012 references UnitTestFramework.dll of VS2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After installing VS2013 preview, my test projects in VS2012.3 projects are referencing the Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework.dll of VS2013.

It seems not to be a problem so far, but it appears not to be a really side-by-side installation as Brian Harry said (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2013/06/26/visual-studio-2013-preview-is-available.aspx).

Any advice about this? Should I fix the references to refer to the VS2012 version?

Also it appeared that Test Explorer in VS2012.3 didn't load anymore. Not sure if it is caused by the VS2013 install or the VS2012.3 update. I suspect the first. After a repair of VS2012 if worked again.

Jaap Mosselman

• Moved by Barry Wang Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:59 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 2:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jaap Mosselman,

Thanks for your post.

I'll move your case to Test forum instead of this setup forum. Your issue is related to that forum.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hi Jaap,

After installing VS2013 preview, my test projects in VS2012.3 projects are referencing the Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework.dll of VS2013.

Where did you get the above result? Could you share us a screen shot about it? Could you check whether you use the .NET Framework 4.5 for your test project in VS2012.3? If you remove it, and then re-add it again, whether it is the same version?

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:57 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for getting back.

Here 2 screenshots:

I have removed the reference and re-added it again, explicitly browsing to the 11.0 version.

Then it is pointing to the correct file, but SpecificVersion is set to false. I looked what was changed in the csproj file:

Initial:

<Reference Include="Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL" />

After re-add:

<Reference Include="Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
          <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion>
          <HintPath>..\..\..\..\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>

If I edit the csproj file and remove the HintPath and SpecificVersion, the Properties is showing again the path to 12.0.

I saw also that both assemblies have the same assemblyversion (10.0.0.0), but the one in the 12.0 folder is bit larger, so it seems they are not the same.

If I create a new solution with a new test project the reference does not have a hintpath so it is also pointing to the 12.0 location.

Jaap Mosselman

• Edited by Jaap Mosselman Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:50 AM extra info
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Hi Jaap,

Sorry for my delay.

I try to check it in my Environment, I installed the VS2012.3 and VS2013 in the same machine, and then I open the coded UI test project(created in VS2012) in VS2012, I could get the result like the following screen shot. So it works well in my side.

I’m not very sure that whether it is related to your VS setup, I installed them VS2012->VS2012 update3->VS2013. Maybe you could remove the VS2013, and then re-install it again.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Hi Jack,

In your screenshot I see that Specific Version is True. I guess, if you look in the csproj file, you will find a Hintpath with the reference? If you remove the hint, what does it say then?

BTW I am using a normal test project, not coded UI test project.

Jaap Mosselman

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Hi Jaap,

Glad to receive your reply.

Actually I just opened the precious coded UI project, I try to create a new unit test project, and I get the similar issue as yours.

I didn’t find the official information about this issue, but as my understanding, the latest version would support the precious version. To get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx, if you submit it, you could share me the link here, I will help you vote it. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Friday, July 12, 2013 7:56 AM