SharePoint Calendar Approval WorkFlow RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2010 Calendar with a custom made approval workflow attached to it. Ever time someone enters in an event, it requires the manager to approve it.

What I can't figure out is how to only display the event only if the manager hits approved.

I know you can do this under versioning, but how does this work with a custom workflow.

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

You can set the Event Status like this:

1.       Click on ‘Approval(1)’ in the first action .

2.       Choose ‘Change the behavior of overall task process’ in the next page .

3.       Find the ‘When the Task process completes’ .

4.       Add an action ‘set field in current item’ like the picture below .Then save and publish the workflow .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Friday, November 18, 2011 8:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hi ,

You can set the default value of the event status column to be ‘pending’ .Then every time when an item is created ,it will have the value of ‘Pending’ .There is a way to prevent user from editing the event status .Add another workflow to keep the value for the column .

1.       Add a workflow to start when an item is created and changed .

2.       Add a condition ‘If current item field equals’ .Set the field as ‘Approval Status’ .change ‘equal’ to ‘Not equal’ . Set the value as ‘Approved’ .

3.       Add an action ‘Set field in current item’ .Set the ‘event status’ to ‘pending’.

4.       Save and publish the workflow .

Actually ,I think you don’ need to use the event status column .Use he Approval Status column in the list is OK .You can choose List settings>Version Settings >Require content approval for submitted items .Then you can add the Approval Status column to show in the All item view by editing the view .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi

in your calendar list view  you can add a filtering condition, based on "Status" - Approved or not of list's item

Romeo Donca
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I have a task status but I put in to filter when task is equal to "Approved" but still doesn't work. Even though the task from the workflow has been approved.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi

i have customized as quick an ex for you.

the list can be viewed at

http://www.romeo.donca.ro/Lists/List_test/AllItems.aspx

You will see : it containt a start date event column and a stop column

Also contain a new column Event_status: Approved or Waiting for approval

In this view nothing is filtered ( not all items are filled with date start and stop - as i said is an example )

I created a calendar view, also nothing is filtered, and you will see 3 event for Nov 07. and 08. 2  are approved and 1 is waiting....

http://www.romeo.donca.ro/Lists/List_test/Clendar%20View%20No%20Filter.aspx

Now let's filter the view

I created a new view, starting from last clendar one, and i put a condition to filter based on field "Event_status" is equal to "Approved"

Now you will see only 2 events for Nov 07. and 08.

http://www.romeo.donca.ro/Lists/List_test/Calendar%20filtered.aspx

What you have to do is to create a calendar view and filter as i explained, and in the workflow, to change the column Event_Status from "Wainting for approve " to "Approved"

Romeo Donca
    Monday, November 7, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Ok but this is the part I don't know how to do. (sorry new at designer):

and in the workflow, to change the column Event_Status from "Wainting for approve " to "Approved"

How do you do that step when approved is clicked.

Here is what my step 1 looks like in designer so far. That starts the approval workflow.

Start Approval process on Current Item with Manager.

Monday, November 7, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hi ,

You can set the Event Status like this:

1.       Click on ‘Approval(1)’ in the first action .

2.       Choose ‘Change the behavior of overall task process’ in the next page .

3.       Find the ‘When the Task process completes’ .

4.       Add an action ‘set field in current item’ like the picture below .Then save and publish the workflow .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Ok this is helpful.

But how do you make the event status in pending until the event is approved?

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Hi ,

You can set the default value of the event status column to be ‘pending’ .Then every time when an item is created ,it will have the value of ‘Pending’ .There is a way to prevent user from editing the event status .Add another workflow to keep the value for the column .

1.       Add a workflow to start when an item is created and changed .

2.       Add a condition ‘If current item field equals’ .Set the field as ‘Approval Status’ .change ‘equal’ to ‘Not equal’ . Set the value as ‘Approved’ .

3.       Add an action ‘Set field in current item’ .Set the ‘event status’ to ‘pending’.

4.       Save and publish the workflow .

Actually ,I think you don’ need to use the event status column .Use he Approval Status column in the list is OK .You can choose List settings>Version Settings >Require content approval for submitted items .Then you can add the Approval Status column to show in the All item view by editing the view .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:59 AM
  • I would start by turning on Content Approval under versioning in the calendar settings.  This will mean that when an item is created or modified it will return to the Pending status.  Then modify the default view (calendar view) to filter where Approval Status is equal to Approved.

You could then use a workflow that goes something like

On create/On Modify

email manager (use this to notify them that an item has been added)

Finally I would create a second view on the calendar list that was a standard list view what filtered out all items that were not approved, and add that view to the page with the calendar.  You could then use audience targeting to hid it from non managers. This would give those who need to approve the event an easy way of viewing all pending bookings.

Hopefully that made sense

Friday, November 11, 2011 12:34 AM