none
MASSIVE drop in earnings. Reporting Issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Have anyone seen a massive drop in earnings from 17 November for advertising?

The report showed that data was delayed for ages and usually when it updates the values sort itself out but today my report updated and my average earnings for that period is down 92%. 

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 7:33 AM

All replies

• Same here.

Minor update in reporting, however this appears to be triggered by time elapsing and have little to do with actual stats being reported. Our best guess is someone thought it would be clever to cause reporting to be updated if it got too far behind to try and stop developers complaining.

If anyone knows how their typical (portfolio specific) ad performance reporting looks you can easily tell the current report simply makes no sense. Apparently our impression count dropped 33%  from one fairly static level to a fairly lower static level. This is nonsense and simply shows the reports are totally broken - or deliberately misleading.

And please dont give us BS about there being 101 different things that could affect this. Yes we are well aware of the 101 things and 99.999% certain its not one of them.

Significantly delayed reporting has been a permanent feature of the so called service and MS clearly have no interest/ability to do anything about it. Depressing, but seems to be how they believe it should be. 

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 8:27 AM
  • bbjbbj - how are you determining that it's just a reporting issue?  Would like to confirm if we are having the same or a different problem.  Can confirm reporting is also showing a massive drop in revenue but would like to check if this is a false result or not.
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 6:55 AM
  • bbjbbj - how are you determining that it's just a reporting issue?  Would like to confirm if we are having the same or a different problem.  Can confirm reporting is also showing a massive drop in revenue but would like to check if this is a false result or not.

Basically by looking at the reports.

E.g. Apparently prior to 17th Nov we had a reasonably consistent 600K impressions/day. On 18th that suddenly drops to 400k for no obvious reason. The report currently claims that data to Nov 24th is correct (filled in blue). This continues to 9th Dec when suddenly it leaps back to 600k.

Looking at the individual ad provider channels OutBrain drops from 200K impressions to 0 overnight of 17/18th. It remains at 0 until 9th Dec when it suddenly leaps back to 200k. Again apparently the data to 24th is correct, thereafter still waiting.

Ignoring the fact that we saw ads from OutBrain during that period its extremely unlikely that a channel goes from 200k to 0 overnight. Even if it did, the whole point of MS back end moderation is that channel gets replaced by others. These are standard sized banner ads provided by multiple suppliers so even more unlikely no other channel has any.

So the current reporting is strongly implying that OutBrain suddenly stopped serving any ads and no other channel was able to replace any of those ads.  And no we dont have any floor cpms etc that is going to block ads. Yes almost all things are possible but its extraordinarily unlikely.

It also seems extraordinarily unlikely that the reported data can be upto date based on actual data given OutBrain reported stats + very much more likely its being claimed as upto date based on elapsed time - which is next to useless + plain wrong.  

• Edited by bbjbbj Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:44 AM
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:43 AM
  • "E.g. Apparently prior to 17th Nov we had a reasonably consistent 600K impressions/day. On 18th that suddenly drops to 400k for no obvious reason. The report currently claims that data to Nov 24th is correct (filled in blue). This continues to 9th Dec when suddenly it leaps back to 600k."

What bbjbbj described here is exactly what happened on my side. 

I've opened a support ticket with MS and will let everyone know what they come back with.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:13 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with Outbrain impressions dropping to zero on Nov 17th and bouncing back to normal on Dec 9th. I can also confirm seeing ads from Outbrain during this time. I wrote to the support but they didn't acknowledge the problem, basically telling me to wait until the ad performance graph updates.
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:03 PM
  • I can confirm the exact same issue with the exact same dates. 17 November to 9 December!!!

The funny thing is that during this period the ads were displaying correctly.

From my part I am sure that this affects 100% the Interstitial Banners that are delivered from OutBrain. In one of my apps, I have one Banner Interstitial with a mediation to display only from OutBrain, so I'm pretty sure for the specific Ad Network. Guess what: They were appeared correctly during this period, so I was sure that it was just a delayed reporting. Now, the data for this period seem FINAL (!):

Zero requests with Zero impressions !!! and of course Zero revenue for the above ad units!!! 

The problem is simple: On your backend, the guy or the automatic process who had to add the OutBrain data for this period didn't do it!

The period is very specific: 17 November to 9 December... So, this is something that can be easily fixed I think!

Moreover, from my part again, I'm not aware of other ad providers delays. 

And something else to add to the discussion that is more serious:

The Video Interstitial banners have an ecpm drop from 2.25 to 0.4 during the same period !!!!! 

This is a ridiculous number. I have 25.000 video impressions in total for Windows 10 Desktop Devices with a geo-traffic  from Tier 1 (60% of them) and I earn 7 dollars per day !!! Read the numbers slowly and carefully: 25.000 Video Ads per day and the guy paid the MS and us a 7$ !!!

How are this number realistic? In all my video ads I can see always a "website", imeangames.com that do not send you back any clicks (I can approve this) that lead to a "Website" full of HTML online games where the guy earn a lot more of his AdSense ads.

If anyone knows how can I advertise my website on the Microsoft Video Ads PLEASE write it here. I'm talking very serious.

Best regards to all

(developers and MS)..

George 

Mobility in Life Applications

https://mlapplications.com 

M.I.L. Apps

Friday, December 13, 2019 8:55 AM
  • This is not only a reporting issue! November payment is down 50% for me, compared to October. In the past nine years November was one of the best months. December looks even worse... With Google AdMob I had a rise of 27% in the same timeframe. 
    Friday, December 13, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Agree - while we are seeing 0 numbers for Outbrain, Outbrain represents < 0.1% of revenue.  The real drop is coming from the AOL ad networks which are down significantly for November and December so far.  Something is very wrong.
    Sunday, December 15, 2019 7:58 PM