none
Illegal characters in path

Question

• When building a web site project I started to get the "Illegal characters in path" error message during validating web site process.

I'm using VS 2015. I removed some temp files in c:\windows\temp folder the last time to eliminate this problem but no luck this time. Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi ms ed,

Please create a new web site project to check whether this issue occurs with all projects or just this specific project.

If the problem is just occurs on this specific project, I suggest you check the code in your project whether there has any Illegal characters when sending any requests from your web site. You could copy the original project files to the new project one by one, which can help you confirm which file causes this issue.

If this issue is occurs in all projects, please collect more detailed error message to help us find out what happened in your Visual Studio.

Following blog introduce how to troubleshoot the Illegal characters in path exception. Hope it can help you.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dougste/2007/03/17/system-argumentexception-illegal-characters-in-path/

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:51 AM