none
How to see a chart for total storage used in Azure Files?

Question

• I'd like to add a chart to my dashboard showing total space used in a storage account for my Azure Files storage. Or for total storage across Files + Blobs + Tables + etc. I have many file shares within my storage account and can't see a way to get a chart that aggregates space used across different fileshares. Is this possible? 

I'm using a 'classic' storage account. 

The documentation on this seems outdated despite having been updated recently (e.g. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/storage-enable-and-view-metrics/, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/storage-monitoring-diagnosing-troubleshooting/#monitoring-capacity) 

thanks, 

Rory

• Moved by Sapna Girish Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:09 AM related to Storage
    Monday, September 5, 2016 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting on the Azure forums!

Storage Metrics collects a basic set of metrics which are aggregated for the Blob, Table, and Queue services in classic portal.

In ARM Azure File storage currently supports Storage Analytics metrics, but does not yet support logging. You can enable metrics for Azure File storage via the Azure Portal.

We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the Azure storage feedback forum available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Monika

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer so that other customers can benefit from it.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Hi Monika, 

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused with the implications: "...does not yet support logging. You can enable metrics for Azure File storage via the Azure Portal." Does that mean I can't get a chart? If I enable metrics what does that do for me?

thanks, 

Rory

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hi -

The metric you would need to determine the amount of space your file shares are using would be the capacity metric. Unfortunately, capacity metrics are only available for Blob storage at this time. In the future, they'll be available for File, Table, and Queue storage as well, and then you'll be able to create the chart you're looking for.

Here's some information on capacity metrics: About Storage Analytics Metrics.

If you did want to write code or use PowerShell to determine how much capacity your file shares are using, you would need to navigate each share recursively to get the size of each file in the share, and add them together.

Sorry about the out-of-date documentation, we'll ensure that that gets updated.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:33 PM