Report Manager RRS feed

• Question

• User-1312722619 posted

hi,

I would like to use Report Manager to display several reports. (ReportViewer is not working for me in this new server, so it is not option now)

Can you please help me to find a link or book to study following subjects.

- Passing credentials to skip Login control

- Passing parameters to reports with QueryString

- Preventing user to get home page just to make sure he doesnt delete any file.

- Manuplating aspx files of Report Manager, writing codes if possible

- Creating new users and control their roles

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:03 AM

Answers

• User1471008070 posted

Hi,

If you are the administrator, just give the user enough permission for logining in your report manager, besides if you want to create new users and control their roles, you can refer to this tutorial about Setting Permissions in Reporting Services

To your second question, it seems you want to pass the parameter's value to report from URL, right? If so I think you can make use of URL's access in reporting services, please see this article for detail about Using URL Access Parameters

You cannot Manuplate aspx files of Report Manager and write codes, as all reporting services' page have been compiled, it is not recommend to modify their source code. If you have to do it, I would recommend you make use of Web Services of reporting services, as SQL Server Reporting Services provides access to the full functionality of the report server through the Report Server Web service. The Report Server Web service is an XML Web service with a SOAP API. It uses SOAP over HTTP and acts as a communications interface between client programs and the report server. The Web service provides two endpoints - one for report execution and one for report management - with methods that expose the functionality of the report server and enable you to create custom tools for any part of the report life cycle.

There are three primary ways to develop Reporting Services applications based on the Web service. You can:

If you have any other question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:30 PM

All replies

• User1471008070 posted

Hi,

If you are the administrator, just give the user enough permission for logining in your report manager, besides if you want to create new users and control their roles, you can refer to this tutorial about Setting Permissions in Reporting Services

To your second question, it seems you want to pass the parameter's value to report from URL, right? If so I think you can make use of URL's access in reporting services, please see this article for detail about Using URL Access Parameters

You cannot Manuplate aspx files of Report Manager and write codes, as all reporting services' page have been compiled, it is not recommend to modify their source code. If you have to do it, I would recommend you make use of Web Services of reporting services, as SQL Server Reporting Services provides access to the full functionality of the report server through the Report Server Web service. The Report Server Web service is an XML Web service with a SOAP API. It uses SOAP over HTTP and acts as a communications interface between client programs and the report server. The Web service provides two endpoints - one for report execution and one for report management - with methods that expose the functionality of the report server and enable you to create custom tools for any part of the report life cycle.

There are three primary ways to develop Reporting Services applications based on the Web service. You can:

If you have any other question, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:30 PM
  • User-1312722619 posted

Hi You Hu Fu,

Thanks for your reply. I have created user and roles successfully. I can login to report manager by using my username and password.

username: PTS\MyUserName

password: MyPassword

I am trying to bybass login by providing this credentials on URL (i know this is not recommenden, just for test)

None of them working. It is still asking me my password. How can i fix this, any idea?

http://pts/Reports_SQLEXPRESS?/karadumanco/reports/testreport&dsu:MyUserName&dsp:MyPassword 

http://pts/Reports_SQLEXPRESS?/karadumanco/reports/testreport&dsu:PTS\MyUserName&dsp:MyPassword

http://pts/Reports_SQLEXPRESS?/karadumanco/reports/testreport&dsu:PTS/MyUserName&dsp:MyPassword

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:56 AM
  • User1471008070 posted

Hi,

It shoule be the report server URL not report manager, please have a try and give the feedback if you have any question.

Monday, July 4, 2011 6:17 AM
  • User-1312722619 posted

Hi, yes i noticed that i used wrong adress. now i changed it accordingly.

i am able to pass query parameters with the new syntax.. but i am not still not able to pass username and password.

This adress run the report and pass projectID successfully. No toolbar as i need.

http://MYSERVER/ReportServer_SQLEXPRESS?/karadumanco/reports/Report1&rs:Command=Render&rc:Toolbar=false&ProjectID=130

But this link still asking me my username and password.

http://MYSERVER/ReportServer_SQLEXPRESS?/karadumanco/reports/Report1&rs:Command=Render&rc:Toolbar=false&ProjectID=130&dsu:MyName&dsp:MyPassword

Actually, i solved the problem with ReportViewer, so i will show all my reports by ReportViewer. But this is still a mystery and still trying to understand where i am doing wrong. I would like to learn if possible.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:04 AM
  • User1471008070 posted

Hi,

Are dsu and dsp your parameters of UserName and PassWord? If so I think you should modify your URL to

&dsu=YourName&dsp=YourPassword

Just like this sample URL:

http://<Server Name>/reportserver?/Sales/YearlySalesSummary&rs:Command=Render&rs:Format=HTML4.0&rc:Parameters=false&Year=2002

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:11 PM
  • User-1312722619 posted
    Hi, My syntaxvis correct, i am sure. I think i need to change some settings in webconfig?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:31 PM