Sometimes applications will not re-launch from the Start screen after the application has already been opened and closed

Question

• Original title: Metro Apps Occassionally Fail to Launch

Under certain conditions, which I have not yet been able to identify, applications will fail to launch from the Metro Apps page.  One example is the Snipping Tool.  The applications always work after a restart but at some later point in time, nothing happens when clicked.  Has anyone else experienced this condition and if so how was it resolved?

Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:26 PM

Answers

• Hey KLawson419,

No need to create a new thread, I've edited the title to describe the problem occurring with applications in general from the Start screen instead of only with Metro style applications. 

We want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:56 AM

All replies

• For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

4) If you are using an Windows Live account, the password cannot be greater than 16 characters.

If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Marilyn

Thanks for the feedback.  Most of the time the Metro apps work and in general will work after a restart so items 1,2 do not appear to be an issue.  I am using a Windows Live ID account which was the default when installing Windows Developer Preview.  The ID is 22 characters long but the password is less than 16 characters.  It therefore appears that 3 and 4 are not an issue.  I will watch more closely but the problem may only occur when an application requires the Desktop as is the case with the Snipping Tool.  The problem does not always occur but perhaps based on the number of open Desktop applications.  Again I'll work on documenting this further.

Friday, January 06, 2012 4:28 AM
  • Marilyn,

I removed your proposed answer which I understand is technically correct if none of the metro apps worked.  As I indicated in my 1/6/2012 reply, an app such as the Snipping Tool will work 98% of the time but once something occurs on the desktop, it can no longer be launched - either by searching and doubling on the name or by clicking on the tile - no errors, just no action taken.  It stays that way until I restart the computer.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Hey KLawson419,

One test could be to see if this happens on another profile. You can create a test local account by following the steps below to see if the same problem occurs.

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click Users in the left column
    • Click Add a user
    • Click More about logon options
    • Click Local account
    • Enter the desired User name, Password and Password hint information
    • Click Next

Once the account has been created, log into it and test to see if you see the same problem. Although from your description it sounds like it may take good amount of use before you see the problem if it's still present.

Another option is to try restarting into a clean boot to see if the same problem continues to occur. You can do this by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type msconfig
    • Click msconfig
    • Click the Services tab
    • Check the Hide all Microsoft services box
    • Click Disable all
    • Click the Startup tab
    • Click Disable all
    • Click OK

Then restart when you are prompted. This will restart your computer without any third party startup processes or programs. Once you are through testing you can enable the services and programs that you want to return by going back into the msconfig window and enabling the processes and programs or by clicking Normal startup to enable all services and programs.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, January 09, 2012 10:05 PM
  • I haven't had time to try the above options on a long term basis but while using yesterday in the same manner as I have been using the PC, the Snipping Tool launched to the desktop one time allowing me to snip a number of windows and paste in a Word document.  I completed tasks and closed the Snipping Tool.  Needed the tool again sometime later, and the tool would not launch.  This morning, the tool launches again without having done a reboot. 
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:04 PM
  • This problem occurs most frequently with the Snipping Tool.  Generally I can click on the tile from the Start menu and the application works first time.  If I close the application and then attempt to launch again it will not launch.  Today when this problem occurred I migrated to the folder where the EXE resides and launched the application without a problem - so appears to be an issue between the Metro tile and the desktop environment.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Hello KLawson410,

The Snipping Tool is not considered a Metro App. You can pin the Snipping tool to the Metro Start Page but it is a desktop application.
    It may be the snipping tool is behind the Metro apps.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:57 PM
  • I agree that the Snipping tool is not a Metro App and sorry that we got off track.  The problem does occasionally occur with Metro IE, Metro apps, and other Pinned apps.  It is just that the Snipping Tool has been the easiest to reproduce - so perhaps this thread should be closed and something new opened.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Hey KLawson419,

No need to create a new thread, I've edited the title to describe the problem occurring with applications in general from the Start screen instead of only with Metro style applications. 

We want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:56 AM