Password Lenght issue using "Live login" on Windows 8

General discussion

• There's a problem with passwords lengths and logging on Win8 (Windows 8 Developer Preview) using a Live Mail account.

I personally use a long password of more than 15 chars and I discovered that this may lead to an "access denied" issue if Win8 is installed using such an account.

This seems due to the fact that, while installing, Win8 uses the normal authentication procedure of the Live platform (that allows long passwords).

Once rebooted, for security purposes and to allow log on without any available connection, Win8 probably uses a stored, encrypted version of the same password calculated on the first 15 chars of the original live account password....

The result is the login error I experienced (with the need of reinstalling the OS).

This is of course a mere supposition since I hadn't the time to deeply analyze the problem.

Stefania

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:25 AM

All replies

• I ran into a similar issue when I tried to set up my picture password.  I was prompted for my Windows password and was getting an incorrect username or password error.  Using the first 16 characters of my Live password worked.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:54 AM